[Fis] Fwd: Re: Acknowledgments--ends and beginnings. The Informationalist Perspective

joe.brenner at bluewin.ch joe.brenner at bluewin.ch
Tue Jan 16 11:04:43 CET 2024

Dear Pedro, Dear Friends and Colleagues
The importance of information from one standpoint is as an example of a complex phenomenon that does not follow standard logic or
even the non-standard logic of processes that I have proposed. Both cover some aspects of information, but Pedro has intuited combinatorics
as offering an additional explanatory dimension.
In his 2002 book, Ontology, on which I
commented in 2008, Dale Jacquette
attempts to derive the “entire universe” from combinatorics, but one in which
objects and their properties are given by pure, classical binary logic. I
suggest that combinatorics as a strategy can and should be considered, but additional
“software” is required. Llull’s work is perhaps better read as religion rather
than science.
I argue that it is neither necessary nor desirable to
be eliminativist with regard to science to establish a set of principles
consistent with an informational perspective. The generation and processing of information
is a complex process following a logic that is a logic of physical change
and not a truth-functional logic of propositions.
In other words, the question of physical change, in
the interpretation I have given it, is central to, is a principle for, an
informational perspective. In one sentence, my “theory” is no more esoteric than
a recognition that real complex processes evolve in a sinusoidal movement from primarily
actual to primarily potential and vice versa, with going to the limits
of 0 and 1.
Biological organization, in fact any organization that
can and does change, follows this pattern, not completely or forever, but
partially and temporarily. It would be idiotic to exclude, from this picture,
the existence of discontinuities, and it is not necessary to do so. At the
unique, higher human cognitive level that permits one or several additional cycles
of recursive processing, aspects of our relation to the existence of the physical
world in fact to existence tout court cannot be avoided.
For me the most important word in Pedro’s note
is “co-creation”. This is a term explicitly used by the 20th Century
Japanese philosopher Yamauchi Tokuryu whose work has just become available in
French in the translation and interpretation by Augustin Berque and Romaric
Jannel. It co-creation or co-instantiation refer to the ontology of emergence
and the “play” of properties of natural phenomena, natural properties of
phenomena such as presence and absence, consistency and inconsistency,
knowledge and ignorance.
The implications of the opening of the discussion that
Pedro has urged are far-reaching. The test of their reasonableness is no
greater (or less) than  parsimony and anchoring in the
reality of potentiality/actuality in its different physical forms – gravitational, magnetic,
chemical and social.
 You have not gone astray, Pedro, but you have opened
the discussion in a way which may require commitment to inclusion of new forms of
knowledge but only those that remain scientifically rigorous, excluding things reducible to “wishful thinking”.

Best,
Joseph----Message d'origine----