[Fis] Pedro on "It from Bit"

Mariusz Stanowski stanowskimariusz at wp.pl
Tue Jan 9 08:51:26 CET 2024

In (1990), J. A. Wheeler has written:

It from bit. Otherwise put, every it — every particle, every field of
force, even the space-time continuum itself — derives its function, its
meaning, its very existence entirely — even if in some contexts
indirectly — from the apparatus-elicited answers to yes-or-no questions,
binary choices, bits. It from bit symbolizes the idea that every item of
the physical world has at bottom — at a very deep bottom, in most
instances — an immaterial source and explanation; that which we call
reality arises in the last analysis from the posing of yes-no questions
and the registering of equipment-evoked responses; in short, that all
things physical are information-theoretic in origin and that this is a
participatory universe.

It follows that Wheelers universe is based on immaterial information. It
doesn’t make sense because there is no information (no structure, no
anything) without energy (causal force). It is so obvious that sometimes
difficult to realize that structure e.g. 10010110 does not exist without
energy quanta (ones) which only definition (only information we have
about them) is that they are different from zero - the structure
00000000 does not exist (Aristotle knew this well).

Mariusz