[Fis] New Year Lecture - Stuart Kauffman

Pedro C. Marijuán pedroc.marijuan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 12:59:18 CET 2024

Dear Stuart and FIS colleagues,

We are honored that you impart the FIS New Year Lecture this time. In
this list, quite a few members share the impression that we are involved
in a historical transition in science. Maybe, as you and Andrea Roli
state, it could be the Third Great Transition. That it revolves around
putting  into question the predominance of physicalist views was
coincidentally discussed in a previous discussion session, when two
pioneers of AI research (Yixin Zhong from China and Eric Werner from
Oxford) were arguing for a paradigm change away for physicalism. Now you
are providing strong arguments from the biological self-construction and
evolutionary points of view. An important point is the argument on
Kantian wholes, from the closure of auto-catalitic sets. It could also
be considered as the organizational reliance on "cycles". In biological
systems there is a towering presence of cycles: from elementary reaction
cycles, to enzyme work-cycles, to regional reaction cycles, gene
expression cycles (your Boolean networks!!), to genetic macro-cycles...
to the cell's entire life cycle. And an even larger story could be told
about cycles in complex organisms...

To put the argument in a nutshell: bye to physicalism (as a fundamental
meta-scientific vision). Yes, but what would substitute for it?
I dare say "informationalism". You mention the biosphere and the  global
economy, and even our cultures. Aren't all them based on the circulation
of "information flows"  (in vastly different forms, of course)??
Let us think, for instance, on the enormous disarray created by the new
social networks in our societies... we do not much understand the
psychological changes derived for the intertwining of natural vs
artifical info flows in our societies.

I am just reading Joseph's just arrived comments, philosophically and
formally oriented. Fine.  I would ad that we are lacking a vast
informational view that can help us to understand that strange world put
into action 3,000 million years ago, full of emergent realms. So,
filling in the gap that physicalim is unable to fill in consistently.

Best regards to all,
--Pedro
*
*
*PS. If anyone has doubts about the messages effectively  distributed in
the list, go please to the instantaneous archive:
http://listas.unizar.es/pipermail/fis/*