[Fis] New Year Lecture - Stuart Kauffman

joe.brenner at bluewin.ch joe.brenner at bluewin.ch
Fri Jan 5 12:41:33 CET 2024

Dear Stuart (if I may), Pedro and Plamen,
Happy New Year and best wishes for 2024 to All! As
Pedro and Plamen may recall, I have been “at home in Stuart’s Universe” for some
time. His article, however, brings clearly into focus the issues to be resolved
in science and philosophy, including logic.
As you may not recall, however, I have been arguing
for all this time, contra vents et marées, in favor of some very
specific additions. Among other things these, have their ground in the very
much neglected Buddhist insights into the relational structure of reality (co-dependence
or co-instantiation) in the work of both Nagarjuna (2nd - 3rd
Centuries C.E.) and Yamauchi Tokuryu (19th -20th Centuries).
To be as brief as possible here, Stuart’s article
refers to or implies needed changes in the following areas:
-
Free will as necessary for individual
and collective responsibility;
-
Total separability in the part-whole relation:
-
Inapplicability of standard set theory;
-
Dynamic implications of the Axiom of Choice;
(I have sent my philosophical-logical interpretation of this Axiom to some 45
people without  an answer, not that I was
wrong or ignorant – nothing.)
-
Non-algorithmic, but regular features
of the real world;
I look forward very much to a dialogue on these and
other issues,
Cheers, as far as possible,
Joseph----Message d'origine----