[Fis] IS4SI 2021 Paper: The Natural, Artificial, and Social Domains of Intelligence

Marcus Abundis 55mrcs at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 14:33:41 CET 2024

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your question, and Happy New Year to you and our colleagues.
– What I have in mind is echoed by your:
< Or, is the question about the organization of matter such that
intelligence (life) a consequence entailed by structural information? >,
– but essentially more *molecular* (atoms AND bonds) in nature.

– I use the non-adaptive 'individual atoms' exemplar only to mark a
counterpoint to 'adaptive molecular life'. From that, *I imagine* a
'continuum of simple-to-complex molecular structures', where some molecular
roles/types seem to exhibit partial(?) homeostasis, as Life *precursors*.
BUT I want to avoid calling something 'intelligent' or 'life', or even
'information' as such terms (for now) simply present traps for endless
debate on 'What exactly do you mean by xxx?!'

– Thus, I definitely do NOT point to:
< Or, does the question refer to the cognitive structures of “intelligent
objects” ascribed to internal forms? >

– For the
< . . . form of logic you are referring to . . . >
– Jorge's 'engineering note' evokes a likely logic of purely mechanical
functioning (or base forms), seeming to exhibit 'material self-repair' or
maintenance as a minimal adaptive logic— aka homeostasis (of form or
function). This differs from Deacon's 'homeodynamic' in that I target
purely descriptive roles, without jumping ahead to explanatory vistas. For
now, I only know of 'self-healing concrete' as an example, but such roles
are 'envisioned' in nanotechnology.
(
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://utilitiesone.com/self-healing-materials-technologies-that-repair-and-maintain-building-structures*:*:text=Self*2Dhealing*20materials*20possess*20the,lifespan*20and*20durability*20of*20structures__;I34lJSUlJSUlJQ!!D9dNQwwGXtA!QTRL5An2DdC9_dQZnnMO34tbpPkny9nU6rVwCLtgji8YkO_a9F64tL3tRBc6IvQgI8R-p3vROGZhbbWE$
.)

< Recalling the recent FIS discussions on the virus, TMV, tobacco mosaic
virus, a crystalline form of biological organized atoms . . . >
– Yes, this is likely in the same area but I seem to recall those exchanges
were general in nature, with little specific detail. I will have to review
those posts.

< I think your questions are most appropriate here, given the history of
the discussions grasping for a semantic/syntactical thread to tie the
various hypotheses together. >
– I agree, it see this inquiry as a next logical step in prior work on a
practical 'theory of meaning'. It will be interesting to see what Pedro
might add . . .

Marcus