[Fis] Fwd: Re: [External] Re: " express matter and energy in terms of information"

joe.brenner at bluewin.ch joe.brenner at bluewin.ch
Wed Feb 28 10:55:06 CET 2024

Dear Gordana, Stu and Karl,
It is a matter of scientific fact that apart from this brief reference by Gordana, for which thanks, what I have written on the subject of potential and potentiality has been systematically ignored. May I please start this response  by giving the title of my 2017 article in arXiv Physics with R. Bishop:

    "Potentiality, Actuality and Non-Separability in Quantum and Classical Physics: Res Potentiae in the Macroscopic World".
I have suggested that information fits the schema defined in this paper and the science on which it is based. In addition, it offers the major advantage (in my mind) of being able to describe information and other complex human cognitive phenomena without going outside the laws of physics in the spacetime in which we normally evolve - the macroscopic world.
The value for me of a non-transcendental explanation for thought and feeling is that requires the highest level of individual responsibility. I can not "pan off", to use an obsolescent trope, any of this responsibility to possible aspects of the universe of which I have no knowledge. When a radioactive nucleus emits a particle is outside the thermodynamic world of (non-standard) logic and responsibility.
I thus will insist, if I may, on the use of "probable" rather than "possible" in the debate. Possible is epistemic, and lets one off the hook. Probable is ontic and means real, even if low or small. Potential information is therefore for me something very concrete, present in or accompanying actual information, with a real probability that can be ascribed to its evolution.
I would much welcome comments on the above,
Best,
Joseph