[Fis] "express matter and energy in terms of information"

Gordana Dodig-Crnkovic gordana.dodig-crnkovic at mdu.se
Tue Feb 27 14:34:38 CET 2024

Dear All,

What a fitting conclusion to our current discussion on formal systems and beyond, which also opens up new questions. Below is my interpretation of the assertions made.

Lou's made the following two fundamental claims:
Mathematics does not rely solely on formal systems; it is propelled by the pursuit of unsolved problems.
Science transcends formal procedures; it is driven by our inquiries about the world.

Markus’s reading of the above differentiates between two modes of knowledge production, normal science vs. paradigm shifts.

During the paradigm shift:
The advancement of mathematics does not rely solely on formal systems; it is propelled by the pursuit of unsolved problems.
The progression of science transcends formal procedures; it is driven by our inquiries about the world.

During the period of “normal science”, some form of formal system seems to apply.
It appears that these fields in their standard modes assimilate historical paradigm shifts, weaving them into a fabric of formal systems.
Some problems, or questions about the world that remain unanswered by normal science, require new approaches and lead to the development of new formalisms.
In the transitional phase from an established system to a new one, no single formal system can encapsulate both. They coexist. Like Einstein's theory of general relativity, and Newton's law of universal gravitation.

The history of the concept of force in physics is quite interesting https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!RsqQdNq3h61D7dpfdBx3YnucK8szGlKENYPC-gfa5RURSNGermLOgxDUxjMkKjvXgkSz9tVE1MEbSKXUHIJcToJsjXFLPg$ .
Could it be that conceptual changes integrate shifts in perspective, providing an impression of continuity?

Marcus suggests 'information' as a concept that goes beyond the "normal science" and “paradigm shifts” transcending scientific and formal domains, in normal science and paradigm shifts.
It is conceivable that the transition to a language of information might constitute such a paradigm shift in itself, as it brings a new dimension of an observer in the picture of knowledge, as information is always relative to an observer. „Everything said is said by an observer.“, Maturana H. R.*

Best regards,
Gordana

*In: Thompson W. I. (ed.) (1987) Gaia: A way of knowing. Lindisfarne Press, New York: 65–82.