[Fis] "express matter and energy in terms of information"

Louis Kauffman loukau at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 04:11:58 CET 2024

Excellent Karl.
Thank you.

The point about good theorems about limitations is that they show us exactly what produces the limitations.
Thus if you insist on using one formal system and it is consistent and can do arithmetic, then it is definitely incomplete.
We can actually see how this happens. But that does not mean that we are limited. We are limited if we insist on one system.
We are not limited in the Goedelian way if we are evolving new systems over time. That is in fact what mathematics does.
No one has proved that there are utterly unsolvable problems, just that if you insist on living in a box then you will not be able to see what is outside
the box. And remarkably, we find very challenging problems that push us to find out how we are boxed and push us to get out of that box.
The problems come both from within mathematics (like Riemann Hypothesis or Collatz problem) and from outside mathematics (like the problem of understanding biology, or the problem of unifying gravity and quantum theory). Mathematics is not based on formal systems. Mathematics is based on unsolved problems.
Science is not based on formal procedures. Science is based on our questions about the world.
Best,
Lou