[Fis] Fwd: Re: " express matter and energy in terms of information" Turtles

joe.brenner at bluewin.ch joe.brenner at bluewin.ch
Sat Feb 17 12:48:19 CET 2024

Dear Alex and Carlos,
Carlos wrote:
But maybe we just need two levels: one where rules don’t change, and another where we can allow rules and meaning to change. The thing is that the way in which rules and meaning change cannot change… but then if we add another layer… To avoid turtles all the way down, could we have layer A changing layer B and vice versa? A coevolution of formal systems?
Between your last two last notes, I think we are coming very close to capturing the essential properties of information as instantiating change and non-change as non-digital information. The "logic" of information should allow, then, for both, together and not-together. Alex' formulation is important because it shows that although complex non-computatble information is distinct from digital information, it is not disjoint. There is a relation and an interaction to explore.
The terms "co-evolution", "co-instantiation" or "co-awaiting (co-attente) are exactly the ones used by the contemporary Japanese philosopher Yamauchi Tokuryu whose work is now available  in French. Critics can no longer claim that the essential precepts of Eastern logic are not accessible.
In my logic, one avoids the infinite regress by noting that in reality, for real situations, it does not exist. A regress stops after two, maximum three recursions when no further meaning is added.
Further, there is simple way to avoid "turtles all the way across". If all complex phenomena share both digital and non-digital properties, to different extents at different times, we can have our cake and eat it. The same relation obtains between ontic and epistemic properties of information. No brutal, theoretical split here either.
Thank you and best wishes,
Joseph