[Fis] Fwd: Re: New discussion session: Can We Go Beyond the Limits of Formal Systems? -- From Aaron Sloman

Pedro C. Marijuán pedroc.marijuan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 19:36:45 CET 2024

-------- Mensaje reenviado -------- From Aaron Sloman

Asunto: 	Re: [Fis] New discussion session: Can We Go Beyond the Limits
of Formal Systems? - Carlos Gershenson
Fecha: 	Fri, 2 Feb 2024 22:29:47 GMT
De: 	a.sloman at bham.ac.uk
Responder a: 	a.sloman at bham.ac.uk
Para: 	Gordana Dodig Crnkovic <gordana.dodig-crnkovic at chalmers.se>
CC: 	fis <fis at listas.unizar.es>, Marcin SCHROEDER <mjs at gl.aiu.ac.jp>

Dear Gordana, the message you forwarded to me included this:

> I am pleased to invite you to an upcoming lecture that builds upon our
> exploration of the boundaries of scientific knowledge which started with
> Stuart Kauffman's New Year lecture.

I have added a brief reference to Kauffman's work (of which I've been
aware for
many years, though not the most recent work) in my massive messy document,
referenced below[*], on various aspects of biological evolution,
reproduction
and development, and connections with ancient mathematical and engineering
discoveries by humans including many apparently independent discoveries of
geometric (i.e. not logic-based) proofs of Pythagoras' theorem in several
different countries centuries before Pythagoras was born.

Much deep spatial reasoning must have been involved in construction of
ancient
pyramids and temples (including processes transporting massive chunks of
rock by
water and land).

There also seem to be many biological processes that at least implicitly
make
use of deep geometric and topological aspects of space-time some of
which may
also challenge current fundamental theories in physics, e.g. the
processes of
insect metamorphosis discussed in this document

[*]
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/projects/cogaff/misc/metamorphosis.html__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!Ua7iDKAhyk0CYQO47ogxMPnnauvfOvo4lBPwHbUnwHrEPdmXE6k8gm9QQ8W--5hN-Z5uhzwH5wPVp5RWam_jpjs$

(It's about much more than metamorphosis!).

I am sorry to be a nuisance.

Aaron

https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/*axs__;fg!!D9dNQwwGXtA!Ua7iDKAhyk0CYQO47ogxMPnnauvfOvo4lBPwHbUnwHrEPdmXE6k8gm9QQ8W--5hN-Z5uhzwH5wPVp5RW81UI17M$
Aaron Sloman,
Emeritus Professor of Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Science
(Retired, but still working full time, on the Meta-Morphogenesis project)

School of Computer Science,
The University of Birmingham
Edgbaston
Birmingham B15 2TT UK

--
Este correo electrónico ha sido analizado en busca de virus por el software antivirus de Avast.
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.avast.com__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!XxNmz6iTI1_GykPfEGtCGgbsPOkLkZkh7_8BgOCuj_w5Emp1ubzeTB3RJV3dLtXcRHMu-x-bc-YeDgXys9tds_QcwJcf$