[Fis] Fwd: Emotional Sentience & amp; The Tao - Author Responses. Brenner

joe.brenner at bluewin.ch joe.brenner at bluewin.ch
Mon Apr 29 10:07:42 CEST 2024

Dear Kate, Dear All,

 I think Kate deserves a great deal of credit for having opened discussion of aspects of science and philosophy that richly deserve it in connection with information. A little belatedly, I address here points from Gordana's and Stu's posts:
 "
 1. I of course accept that computability may be present in living systems, but I maintain that it is substantively different from standard computation ij that its parts are not static, binary "impulses" but complex, dynamic and structured entities. These are ontological, not epistemological; they certainly don't look to me like a standard algorithm, but this is teminology

 2. My parts (I call them "ontolons") of course have the properties of an autogen in the Deacon/ Kauffman sense, hence of a Kantian whole as set out by Stu in Biosemiotics 2021. But I do not agree that there are no entailing laws for the emergence and change of meanings, since I consider that we are still squarely in a process-ontological domain, subject to the Lupascian laws pf evolution of natural processes. These concepts give support to Stu's view of the evolution of life and meaning being based of physics but rising above it. If yes, then one can question the purport of "auto-" in autogen as one can of "self-" in its many uses. o the extent any real process, of which emotion is a clear example, is always "hetero-" in the sense of dependence on prior - information_as_process.

 3. Kate's approach allows us to include emotion in this universe of discourse.

 4. Taken in this ontological sense, the answer to Eric's question about the dimensional architecture of Kantian wholes appears: I claim that it is not fundamentally different from that of other natural processes. In living beings, the capacity for recursive processing of mental states provides the basis for Kate's "creative interactions".

 5. As I noted already in my 2008 book, Logic in Reality, on the wonderful 1930 source of Tscherbatsky (various spellings), the Jains' version of Buddhism and its logic was qualitatively different from others in this tradition. Stu's version of affordances has I believe a close relation to this non-semantic view.

 6. Thus the work of Sudip Patra to which Stu refers in his short note becomes of extreme importance. There is in it, first of all, the correct statement of the  existence, without total separation of the ontological and epistemological. The concept of an "unmanifest" calls for a relation with what is potential or potentialized. I would most welcome  Patra's view of views of "buddhist logic" which correct or amplify those of Stcherbatsky.
I look forward to further discussion of these issues, inside or outside the thread, as Pedro sees fit.
Best wishes,
Joseph