[Fis] News from the Beijing Conference

Pedro C. Marijuán pedroc.marijuan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 14:03:23 CEST 2023

Dear FIS Colleagues,

In the middle of this August, the Fourth IS4SI Conference took place in
Beijing. Its focus was on “Paradigm Change in the Information
Discipline”. It was a very interesting venue, with close to 200
participants in person and online (mostly Chinese--not many from
abroad). Our colleague Yixin Zhong was the main organizer; he presented
a couple of challenging works on paradigm change in AI as well as in the
whole Information Science. Indeed they deserve careful discussion and
probably we will have the opportunity soon, for I am trying to arrange a
FIS session on AI both on the conceptual side and on the social impact.
My role as co-chair of IS4SI for this conference was centered in the
exploratory works for an International Academy of Information Studies.
It is an attempt to attract and articulate more permanently the best
minds —the world avant-garde of scholars and researchers— of the related
information fields.The ongoing works were presented--provisionally, for
the Academy is not public yet. Indeed more and more scholars and
researchers are convening on the importance of the unsolved conundrums
around information, a pitfall of our collective knowledge system. Can we
be optimistic that the "paradigm change" is taking place??

I hope more news will follow soon.

Best regards to all,

--Pedro

--
Este correo electrónico ha sido analizado en busca de virus por el software antivirus de Avast.
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.avast.com__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!WQXKDqMZ0cqMXjX8dHAlyE4Rgp7GPMKhl531uw1ZBHkCr2XSPY3CAIIjLcP0qyaOF342UCU3JSwjblPaRG49aLOG-CCB$