[Fis] Paradigm AI

钟义信 zyx at bupt.edu.cn
Wed Oct 18 09:16:04 CEST 2023

Dear Eric,

Thank you for the interesting talk on "Paradigm AI" from which I learned a lot.

As a discussant, may I propose some of my understanding. Comments are welcome.

(1) I appreciate your idea that saying "Physics paradigm PPD does not fit well with AI paradigm" and "Information paradigm PID is a better fit". This is the valuable common basis, between you and me, concerning the PPD, PID and AI.

(2) How to define the concept of intelligence? This is a very difficult problem. To my own understanding, the following short statement may serve as one of the candidates: Intelligence is the ability to solve problem but not the ability to find and define problem, the latter of which is one of the abilities for wisdom.

(3) The paradigm for AI can be used as the paradigm for bio-technology with certain simplification and specialization. This judgement is not based on their "structure/architecture",  but based on their "information function" - which is the basic function in both AI and biotechnology, that is to seek opportunity for "living (or solving problem)" and to avoid the "danger (or failing to problem solving)".

Once again, comments and criticisms are most welcome.

Best regards,

Prof. Yixin ZHONG
AI School, BUPT
Beijing 100876, China