[Fis] FIS Discussion Session on AI

Pedro C. Marijuán pedroc.marijuan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 13:10:29 CEST 2023

Dear FIS Colleagues,

Many thanks to Yixin and Eric for their contributions. Both represent
interesting (partial) approaches to the brave new world that AI and
related technologies are in the process of enacting.

I had the opportunity to briefly discuss with Yixin on the AI Paradigm.
My basic point of view is that we all are still ignoring the general
nature of intelligence.
There is a biological root (exactly, cellular) that very few people
consider and try to connect with neuronal or social manifestations of
intelligence.
Failing to see the way the living cell strategically organizes its
processing resources to enact a life cycle, means leaving in the pure
air the crucial use of our own informational resources to, yes, advance
our own lives.

Eric's contribution is an step on that direction, but within the formal
approaches to info/meaning/knowledge. Insufficient thus.
The problem is that we as individuals disappear from the
scientific-technological landscape --only left for datafication, for
control.
The human life cycle's global intelligence is mainly handled via (mostly
social) emotions, also an ill-defined, ill-understood territory in
science...
That our social emotions are completely misunderstood and mishandled at
the social level is horribly seen these days/months/years...

I disagree with the critical, negativist approaches to AI, which I think
has a great merit and transformative possibilities --- if, and only if,
it is accompanied by a deep scientific change.

Call it new paradigm, social information or whatever. I see more alive
than ever the original goals of this list 25 years ago: Foundations of
Information Science!

Best wishes to all,

Pedro
Pedro C. Marijuán
FIS Coordination
/FIS Archives last 10 years:/
http://listas.unizar.es/pipermail/fis/
/List of discussion sessions last 25 years:/
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://fis.sciforum.net/fis-discussion-sessions/__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!T36sXrYk4lzPAQiTwHKyZNbaNNeoqQbLIdxVoB7FbVSiGQA22R-YQANJqj4RWnlhFQdWizx9ll8ji60lmqpNQG75q79v$

Este correo electrónico ha sido analizado en busca de virus por el software antivirus de Avast.
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.avast.com__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!T36sXrYk4lzPAQiTwHKyZNbaNNeoqQbLIdxVoB7FbVSiGQA22R-YQANJqj4RWnlhFQdWizx9ll8ji60lmqpNQD6N8TIH$