[Fis] Fis Digest, Vol 105, Issue 12 Human Wisdom vs Meta-Intelligence

Eric Werner eric.werner at oarf.org
Thu Nov 9 16:56:09 CET 2023

Dear Lou,

Have been meaning to respond but was busy programming (when I get the
mood it can be fun) and outings with family.

Consider notion of meta-AI ( defined as not only being to solve problems
created by someone else, but to create new definitions for new concepts,
to question and come up with problems that lower level AI can solve).

Initially I had a similar view as you that rational thought, deductive
inference would be need to be implemented in other complimentary modules
with their own logic unlike an LLM - a parrot that gives the illusion of
thought and understanding.

But I am no longer so sure.

Note, the way you appear to define creative mathematics, there is still
a human in the loop in that defines the rules and search space which are
then given to the rational system (computer).

However, although we are the designers of the boundaries, frame of
reference, possibility spaces and talking points for now, LLMs keep
gaining competencies.

Once  a meta-AI starts designing the search space and the rules, then
meta-AI systems will perhaps surpass humans in the process of generating
mathematical and scientific theories.

The problem will then be how to get these systems to explain what they
have created. If for example the meta-AI designs a system based on its
new theory and it works, then we may be incapable of understanding how
it works due to are limited mental capacities. Like us trying to explain
to a baboon the design of the von Neumann computer architecture.

Again distinguishing between implementation-instantiation of a system
versus its functional architecture, the LLM or some form of it with a
meta-LLM  that is rationally equivalent or superior to human reasoning
and creative thought may be possible. Like your reference to number
theoretic limits, it  may be an empirical question that cannot proven or
intuited by deductive formal methods let alone a priori.

Imagine an Artificial Spencer Brown (ASB) thought engine, surely you can
imagine that.😉

Best,

Eric

P.S, I do not mind being tricked into arguing with myself, as such
Socratic methods or Hegelian Dialectics leads to new approaches quickly
and meta-rationally. But I would much rather argue with you over a beer
or glass of wine. Then you may be wondering who tricked whom.

--
/Dr. Eric Werner
Oxford Advanced Research Foundation

/