[Fis] definitions of information by Theil (1972) derived from Shannon (1948); back to the basics?

konstantin lidin lidinkl at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 25 07:27:47 CET 2023

Thank you, Howard. I completely agree with your thesis that the very concept of information quality (closely related to the concept of meaning) arises only in the situation of understanding (using) information and therefore is subjective.

I use the following definition of information:
information is a structural aspect of the existence of matter.

We know three aspects of the existence of matter.
Substance is an aspect reflecting the property of matter to be unchangeable.
Energy is an aspect reflecting the tendency of matter to move (change).
Information is an aspect reflecting the ability of matter to have structure.

These aspects do not exist in isolation. They continuously pass into each other. But the transition coefficients between them are extremely large. For the transition of matter into energy, the transition coefficient has the dimensions of the square of the speed of light. For the transition of energy into information, this is the Boltzmann constant.
Thus, the transition coefficient between matter and information has the size of an unimaginable 10^40
A living being, and especially a person from the point of view of matter, does not look too solid - it's basically a few buckets of dirty water and a bag of calcium phosphate.
In terms of energy, we are also small (power is about 0.1 horsepower).
But in the aspect of information, a person is a huge object of the order of zettabytes in size. Such a significant information "clot" is associated with all other information in the surrounding space.

Meaning (signal, relevant information) this is the part of the information coming from the surrounding space that can be included in the recipient's internal information structure.
For example, if you know Chinese, then writing in hieroglyphs is full of meaning for you. If you don't read hieroglyphs, this information makes no sense to you and looks like noise.

I've been using this definition for many years now, and I like it.

Konstantin