[Fis] definitions of information by Theil (1972) derived from Shnnon (1948); back to the basics?

Loet Leydesdorff loet at leydesdorff.net
Mon Jan 23 16:29:38 CET 2023

Theil (1972) pp. 1 and 2:
1.1. Information

Consider an event E with probability p; the nature of the event is
irrele­vant. At some point in time we receive a reliable message stating
that E in fact occurred. The question is: How should one measure the
amount of information conveyed by this message?

Information

Since the question is vague, we shall try to answer it in an intuitive
manner. Suppose that p is close to 1 (e.g., p = .95). Then, one may
argue, the message conveys very little information, because it was
virtually certain that E would take place. But suppose that p = .01, so
that it is almost certain E will not occur. If E nevertheless does
occur, the message stating this will be unexpected and hence contains a
great deal of information.

These intuitive ideas suggest that, if we want to measure the
information derived from a message in terms of the probability p that
prevailed before or to the arrival of the message, we should select a
decreasing function. The function proposed by SHANNON (1948) is when the
probability prior to the message is zero) to 0 (zero information when
the probability is one).

The unit of information is determined by the base of the logarithm.
Frequently 2 is used as a base, which implies that any message
concerning a 50-50 event has unit information: h() = log2 2 = 1, and
information is then said to be measured in binary digits or, for short,
bits. When natural logarithms are used, the information unit is a nit.

best, loet

Loet Leydesdorff

"The Evolutionary Dynamics of Discusive Knowledge"
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-030-59951-5__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!UCpI3A8EWvaVDmOuc9hvIQ63G4mDCTSSAo-msd5Fp1s28PF75NWu969e_W5KiezGFeMPMGFtXsQLLuhNS00$ >(Open Access)

Professor emeritus, University of Amsterdam

Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)

loet en leydesdorff.net <mailto:loet en leydesdorff.net>;
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.leydesdorff.net/__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!UCpI3A8EWvaVDmOuc9hvIQ63G4mDCTSSAo-msd5Fp1s28PF75NWu969e_W5KiezGFeMPMGFtXsQLGpM1vg4$

https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=ych9gNYAAAAJ&hl=en__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!UCpI3A8EWvaVDmOuc9hvIQ63G4mDCTSSAo-msd5Fp1s28PF75NWu969e_W5KiezGFeMPMGFtXsQLaBGhTzQ$

ORCID: https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://orcid.org/0000-0002-7835-3098__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!UCpI3A8EWvaVDmOuc9hvIQ63G4mDCTSSAo-msd5Fp1s28PF75NWu969e_W5KiezGFeMPMGFtXsQLH5t9V6o$ ;