[Fis] A new discussion session

Louis Kauffman loukau at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 00:02:20 CET 2022

Sheri,
I will try to respond to your letter about the post Goedel structures by first quoting the last part of my previous letter that discusses Goedelian ideas from the point of view of fixed points.
My letter was quite long, and it is possible to not get to the second half.
Note also that the first half is based on a referential situation g —> F where #g ——> Fg is what I call the Indicative Shift of g —> F. This is formal and does not assume anythng other than arrow structure.
With g —> F# we have #g —> F#g making F#g refer to its own name. There is more to say herd and references that I cannot send to the list, so I will get a dropbox for it and further discussion later today.
Best,
Lou K.

##########
It is a very interesting question whether such encoding or such multiple relationships to context occur in biology. Here are some remarks.

1. In biology is is NORMALLY the case that certain key structures have multiple interpretations and uses in various contexts.
The understanding of such multiple uses and the naming of them requires an observer of the biology. Thus we see the action of a cell membrane and we see the action of mitosis, and so on.

2. There are implicit encodings in biology such as the sequence codes in DNA and RNA and their unfoldment. To what extent do they partake of the properties of Goedel coding?

3. The use of the Goedel coding in the Incompleteness theorem depends crucially on the relationship of syntax and semantic in the formal system and in the mathematician’s interpretation of the workings of that system. The Goedel argument depends upon the formal system S being seen as a mathematical object that itself can be studied for its properties and behavior.
When we speak of the truth of G, we are speaking of our assessment of the possible behaviour of S, given its consistency. We are reasoning about S just as Euclid reasons about the structure of right triangle.

4. In examining biological structures we take a similar position and reason about what we know about them. Sufficiently complex biological structures can be seen as modeled by certain logical formal systems.
And then Goedelian reasoning can be applied to them. This can even be extended to ourselves. Suppose that I am modeled correctly in my mathematical reasoning by a SINGLE CONSISTENT FORMAL SYSTEM S.
Then “I” can apply the above proof of Goedel’s Therem to S and deduce that G cannot be proven by S. Thus “I” have exceeded the capabilities of S. Therefore it is erroneous to assume that my mathematical reasoning is encapsulated by a single formal system S. If I am a formal system, that system must be allowed to grow in time. Such reasoning as this is subtle, but the semantics of the relationship of mathematicians and the formal systems that they study is subtle and when biology is brought in the whole matter becomes exceedingly interesting.

5. We man not need numbers to have these kinds of relationships. And example is the Smullyan Machine that prints sequences of symbols from the alphabet {~,P,R} on a tape. Sequences that begin with P,~P,PR and ~PR are regarded as meaningful, with the meanings:
PX: X can be printed.
~PX: X cannot be printed.
PRX: XX can be printed.
~PRX: XX cannot be printed.
Here X is any string of the symbols {~,P,R}.
Thus PR~~P means that XX can be printed where X = ~~P. Thus PR~~P means that ~~P~~P can be printed.
By printed we mean on one press of the button on the Machine, a string of characters is printed.
IT IS ASSUMED THAT THE SMULLYAN MACHINE ALWAYS TELLS THE TRUTH WHEN IT PRINTS A MEANINGFUL STATEMENT.
Then we have the

Theorem. There are meaningful true strings that the Smullyan Machine cannot print.

This is a non-numerical analog of the Goedel Theorem. And the string that cannot be printed is G = ~PR~PR.
For you see that G is meaningful and since G = ~PRX, G says that XX cannot be printed. But X = ~PR and XX = ~PR~PR = G. So G says that G cannot be printed.
If the machine were to print G, it would lie. And the machine does not lie.
Therefore G is unprintable.
But this is what G says.
So we have established the truth of G and proved the Theorem.

6. Examine this last paragraph 5. The Machine is like an organism with a limitation. This limitation goes through the semantics of reference. ~PRX refers to XX and so can refer to itself if we take X = ~PR. ~PX refers to X and cannot refer to itself since it is longer than X. In biological coding the DNA code is fundamentally smaller or equal to the structure to which it refers.
Thus the self-reproduction of the DNA is possible since DNA = W+C the convention of the Watson and Crick strand and each of W and C can by themselves engage in an action to encode, refer to, the other strand. W can produce a copy of C in the form W+C and C can produce a copy of W in the form W+C each by using the larger environment. Thus W+C refers to itself, reproduces itself by a method of encoding quite similar to the self reference of the Smullyan Machine.

7. Von Neuman devised a machine that can build itself. B is the von Neuman machine and B.x —> X,x where x is the plan or blueprint or code for and entity X. B builds X with given the blueprint x.
Then we have B,b —> B,b where b is the blueprint for B. B builds itself from its own blueprint. I hope you see the analogy with the Goedel code.

8. I will stop here. The relationships with biology are very worth discussing.
Before stopping it is worth remarking that the Maturana Uribe Varela autopoeisis is an example of a system arising into a form of self-reference that has a lifetime due to the probabilisitic dynamics of its process.
Best,
Lou Kauffman