[Fis] How Molecules Became Signs. "How Molecules Became Signs"

joe.brenner at bluewin.ch joe.brenner at bluewin.ch
Sat Mar 19 11:22:29 CET 2022

Dear All,
Stan’s message brings home, if need be, the utility of the
hierarchical approach in a specific instance. I agree with his reordering. Moreover,
it suggests that any discussion of complex problems such as those of information
requires more than one perspective. I suggest that in the future we might try
to apply to information the three approaches jointly and explicitly:
-
Hierarchies
-
Systems
-
Processes
There is a gradation here between emphasis on ontological vs.
epistemological aspects. My concept of a logic of energy is applicable
primarily to processes, rather than hierarchies or systems per se, but
it can also capture a sense of the movement, more or less complete, from one domain
to another.
As a test, recursive case, what might the above mean in
relation to the original subject of this thread, “How Molecules Became Signs”?
My conclusion is that we are examining here a hierarchical, epistemic concept. The
title itself begs several ontological questions, such as how to deal with the realities
which are the basis of the “signs”.
For me, molecules become other molecules, with new and
different structures, potential energies, and available reaction paths. Their
designation as signs is possible in some hierarchical. epistemic framework, but
I do not consider it necessary since a real process (e.g. a biochemical
reaction) has its own meaning-for-us as part of knowledge.
I am not arguing that even the above approach is the only one possible or necessary, only that it might be taken into account for progress in the information field.
Thank you and best wishes,
Joseph