[Fis] How Molecules Became Signs. One Way Out

Christophe Menant christophe.menant at hotmail.fr
Sun Mar 13 14:46:54 CET 2022

Thanks Joseph for your position.

If I understand you well:
1) There is information and meaning in our world (I&M).
2) There is no information nor meaning in an a-biotic/inert world.
3) In that a-biotic/inert world there is only “potential for information as meaning”.
4) Information is defined in the process of its emergence from some energetic ground.

In addition, I feel we can say that:
a) I&M can be defined (https://philpapers.org/rec/MENITA-7).
b) Having from Terry his definitions for I&M would allow a better understanding of the “potential for information as meaning” and of the “process of emergence”.
This is about the well known reverse engineering activity where the outcome of a process is available, and when we look for some understanding about the process itself. The more we know about the outcome of the process, the more we can pretend understanding the process.
Here we need to clearly know the outcome of the process. We need definitions for I&M by Terry. Their availability is needed to look at understanding the “potential for information as meaning” and the “process of emergence”.

All the best
Christophe