[Fis] How Molecules Became Signs. One Way Out

Loet Leydesdorff loet at leydesdorff.net
Sun Mar 13 13:03:28 CET 2022

Yes, Joseph, I agree! The alteration of the sign indicates whether
information (entropy) or redundancy is generated.

Leydesdorff, L., Petersen, A. M., & Ivanova, I. (2017).
Self-organization of meaning and the reflexive communication of
information. Social Science Information, 56(1), 4-27. doi:
10.1177/0539018416675074 .
We formulated on pp.  , as follows: I owe this to my coauthors:

Redundancy in three and four dimensions

For the three-dimensional case and using Figure 6, one can define, in
addition to the two-dimensional values of Υ (in Eq. 3), a
three-dimensional value including the redundancies (in the respective
overlaps) as follows:

                                                  (5)

Figure 6: Overlapping uncertainties in three variables x1, x2, and x3:

two configurations with opposite sign of T123.

Using information theory, however, one would make the following
corrections for double counting in the overlaps (by subtracting; see
Figure 6):

                                             (6)

It follows that the difference between the uncertainty in the historical
system (H123 in Eq. 6) and the system of expectations ( in Eq. 5) is:

                                                                  (7)

Furthermore, the mutual information in three dimensions can be derived
in information theory using the Shannon formulas (e.g., Abramson, 1963,
at p. 129; McGill, 1954; Yeung, 2008) as:

                                           (8)

Using Υ-values instead of H-values for the joint entropies in Eq. 8, one
obtains the mutual redundancy in three dimensions as follows:

                              (9)

In the three-dimensional case, the mutual redundancy is thus equal to
the mutual information in three dimensions. Furthermore, Leydesdorff &
Ivanova (2014, at p. 392) show that in the case of four dimensions R1234
= – T1234. The sign of the mutual redundancy alternates with the number
of dimensions. This corrects for the otherwise inexplicable sign changes
in the mutual information with increasing dimensionality. This sign
change of the mutual information with dimensions is a well-known problem
in information theory, but beyond the scope of the present study.[1]
<#_ftn1> In other words, mutual redundancy is a consistent measure of
negative entropy, while mutual information

is not, because of its sign changes with the dimensionality. We prove
this claim in the next section by generalizing the formulation.

[1] <#_ftnref1>Krippendorff (2009b, at p. 670) provided a general
notation for this alteration with changing dimensionality—but with the
opposite sign (which further complicate the issue; cf. Leydesdorff,
2010: 68)—as follows:

                          (9)

In this equation, Γ is the set of variables of which X is a subset, and
H(X) is the uncertainty of the distribution; |Γ| is the cardinality of
Γ, and |X| the cardinality of X.Generalization

Eq. 8 can be rewritten as follows:

T123 = H1 + H2 + H3 - H12 - H13 - H23 + H123(8)
T123 = [(H1 + H2 - H12) + (H1 + H3 - H13) + (H2 + H3H23)] + [H123 - H1 -
H2 - H3]
T123 = [T12 + T13 + T23] + [H123 - H1 - H2 - H3](10)

The second bracket in Eq. 10 makes a negative contribution, because of
the subadditivity of the entropy: , which holds for any dimension n≥ 2.
The terms in the first bracket of Eq. 10 are strictly positive. As
noted, the sign of the resulting value of T123 depends on the empirical
configuration (as indicated by the two configurations in Figure 6).

It follows (inductively) that for any given dimension n, one can
formulate combinations of mutual informations corresponding to that are
by definition positive (or zero in the null case of complete
independence). For example (up to four dimensions) as follows:

(11)

where the sums on the right-hand side are over the permutations of the
indices. This relation can be extended for general n as,

(12)

where the last term on the right-hand side is equal to . Returning to
the relation between and , it now follows instructively that:

(13)

and the analogous relations for and follow in the same way from Eq.
(12). More generally, in the case of more than two dimension, n > 2:

(14)

The left-bracketed term of Eq. 14 is necessarily negative entropy
(because of the subadditivity of the entropy), while the configuration
of the remaining mutual information relations contribute a second term
on the right which is positive (see the set of Equations 11 above). In
other words, we model here the generation of redundancy on the one side
versus the historical process of uncertainty generation in relating on
the other, as an empirical balance in a system that operates with more
than two codes (e.g., alphabets; Abramson, 1963, pp. 127 ff.). When the
resulting R is negative, self-organization prevails over organization in
the configuration under study, whereas a positive R indicates conversely
a predominance of organization over self-organization as two different
subdynamics.

<https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783030599508>Loet Leydesdorff

"The Evolutionary Dynamics of Discusive Knowledge"
<https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-030-59951-5>(Open Access)

Professor emeritus, University of Amsterdam

Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)

loet en leydesdorff.net <mailto:loet en leydesdorff.net>;
http://www.leydesdorff.net/

http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=ych9gNYAAAAJ&hl=en

ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-7835-3098;