[Fis] Summarising this weeks discussion

Karl Javorszky karl.javorszky at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 10:45:22 CEST 2022

Dear Andrei and Colleagues,

Thank you for summarizing last week's discussion. Please allow me to draw
your attention to the fact that I have also contributed, twice, to those
proceedings.

So, *for the record, *let me summarize what I have tried to bring to your
attention.

*1.     **Epistemological, meta-communicational differences*

To me, the process of our non-dialogue has stark similarities to how I
imagine the process *Holy Congregation vs. Galileo Galilei* to have taken
place. The two sides have absolutely no common ground and consider each
other to be subject to irrational phantasmagories.

The similarities cover also:

a.      Your side has tradition, publicity, establishment on its side,

b.     My side is an individual with no backing from establishment figures.

You can refer to the community of Cardinals giving a reasoned judgement
reinforcing each other’s opinion by referring to each other’s valuable and
much-renowned publications in the most respected journals, books and at
conferences. I can only point to e.g. Learn to Count in Twelve Easy Steps
and De Ordinibus Naturalibus.

*2.     **What you need to understand*

 In the present discussion about *Biological **Mathematics, *the only
person who has anything to do with Biology is me. With all due respect,
this is again comparable to* Cardinals vs Galileo *insofar as none of the
Cardinals has ever looked thru a telescope. None of you have ever dealt
with anankastic syndrome, manic-depressive processes, dysthymia, or surges
of urges. These observations are highly educative, as educative as seeing
the moons of Jupiter.

If you want to understand how Biology functions and model that what you
observe, you have to learn some basic concepts, which I can teach you. The
situation is completely different to how you see it: not you are in the
know and I talk about stuff I have no idea about, but rather you are
completely out of your depth and have no idea about what you pontificate
about, this made worse by you believing that you are the champions, because
you congratulate each other how well you are making progress. If you are
not ready to learn, you will never understand (said Galileo to the
Cardinals).

3.      *Basics to learn*

It takes about 7 years to get a PhD in Psychology. Zero chances of
instructing you how to approach *Biologic Mathematics. * For a start, let
me tell you two of the most fundamental principles, to help you avoid the
most horrible nonsense. These principles are: thresholds and individuality
of symbols.

4.     *Eddington and the 136 ~ 137 upper limit*

This guy Eddington must have been a real genius. How he figured out the
upper limit of consistent assemblies without having any idea about the
mathematics behind it is truly marvelous. Fact is that he did, even though
he could not withstand the pressure of his ignorant contemporaries and
avoided stating loud and clear that the *essence of the idea of a threshold
is that it is impossible to keep on counting above a threshold, because the
results of the counting become self-contradictory. *

We imagine an assembly made up *n *parts which assembly is consistent and
coherent, that is: in which the parts have relations among each other. It
is self-evident that this assembly can contain only a limited number of
parts (otherwise we had an infinite number of relations among objects,
which is evidently not the case, see e.g. that not every object is subject
to magnetism).

If Eddington had been able to use the terms *‘foreground – background’
*and *‘similarity
– diversity’, *he would have established that there are differently many
similarity relations observable on a background of diversity than there are
diversity relations observable on a background of similarity. Using these
concepts, he would have entered *A242615 *into *www.oeis.org
<http://www.oeis.org>. *

 Reading the relations published in *A242615 *one understands that *Δ**  (
f1(n), f2(n) ) > **Δ** ( f(n+1), f(n) ) for n > Limit, *where the term *Limit
*refers to *n = 136 *in one case and to *n = 137 *in the other case. This
is not that complicated to understand, one needs only to look at the
numbers (but one needs to look at the numbers, in order to understand the
Eddington threshold).

In Biology, one hits thresholds right and left, the whole contraption would
not work without the existence, contributions of thresholds.

You must use a kind of Mathematics that is full of thresholds, in order to
be able to create a picture of how Biology works. Otherwise, you are as
lost as the Cardinals discussing with Galileo.

5.     *Individuated symbols*

Below the threshold, the action takes place. For historical reasons (and
for the fact of not having computers at their disposal), the Founding
Fathers of Mathematics have simplified the task of counting by declaring
the symbols one conducts counting on to be *non-distinguishable,
non-individual, all similar in all respects. *

This is a time-honored tradition, like the Teachings of the Prophets, First
Disciples, Founding Fathers in the case of the Cardinals. It is downright
heretic to suggest that symbols should be distinguished among each other,
and one plays with his life if one suggests to the Cardinals that they
should move their purple-clothed bodies and actually look at what the
experiments show: in the case of Galileo, be so revolutionary and heretic
as to look thru a telescope, in my case to be so revolutionary and heretic
as to take some few (any number above say 21 should do, needs not be more
than 136) symbols (assembled from *a,b; a,b **≤** 16; a **≤ b), *sort them
in any order and then resort them in a different order. The exercise should
open your eyes like the exercise of looking thru the telescope would have
opened the eyes of those Cardinals. As fat a chance of you being conductive
to pledges to reason as there was in the case then, one may bet. If one is
a Cardinal, one will not lower himself to observations of experiments, one
is secure enough in the knowledge that the other Cardinals are supportive
of one’s convictions.

*6.     **Summary*

This addition to the summary of last week's discussions is *for the record.
*Whatever happens, future historians will know that *you have been told.*