[Fis] What is the (Information) Phenomenon? / ​Marijuán Navarro 2021 [ IMD ]

Pedro C. Marijuán pedroc.marijuan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 22:24:14 CET 2022

Dear All,

I am responding to Malcolm's interesting posting (offline, below) and to
Jerry.

My contention is that "disciplines" and "pluridisciplines", at least in
natural science, are not logical bodies or "sequences of formalisms",
but say "paradigmatic" realizations. They contain a lot of experimental
and theoretical findings, usually in many disconnected areas, but
responding to some commonality of thinking inspired by some seminal
piece of work. It is in this sense that I was referring to those
"founding phenomena" below. They are very good pieces of experimental
work both of them that have attracted many other related works.

With the above I also respond to Jerry, as I was insisting on the lack
of that kind of seminal work in the biological-informational arena, a
work capable of attracting attention, followers, funding, etc., so that
later on people could say "yes, that's the bio-info kind of approach
that was really started with this work". It is the realistic sense of
"paradigms" as new foci for thought and action. The new information
science paradigm recently proposed by our colleague Yixin Zhong could
well be taken as an exemplar, tentative case.

Further, pointing that "None of these are /fundamental/ phenomena. They
rest on other phenomena..." (by Malcolm, below) touches in my mind two
keys. But first, let me state that the whole paragraph is quite rich and
meaningful. My suggestion about biological info and the observer is that
without a multitude of concrete evolutionary inventions, (that
presumably revolve around signaling systems as privileged handlers of
the information flow) there would be nothing, but a scum of  bacterian
life in an isolated, barren planet.

Well, the first key about that short sentence is that it may sound like
the outdated reductionism of past decades. Why should physics or
mathematical physics be more fundamental? They also rest on other
phenomena and assumptions (social, philosophical, mathematical,
metaphysical, methodological). And these sciences are ostensibly
provisional, always in the making (e.g., suddenly "dark matter" and
"dark energy" appear from nothing and fill everything!). The past
century was a show of new, changing fundamentalities (superstrings, q.
gravities, cosmic expansion...). So I do not buy that supposed
fundamentality (except in a restricted, comparative sense).
Metaphorically the sciences are not monarchic but republican.

And the other key relates to the general interrelationships between
sciences. John Dupré's work (1993) "The Disorder of Things: Metaphysical
Foundations of the Disunity of Science" rightly points, in my opinion,
to the directions in which a richer conception might be developed. Like
in all collective endeavors of humans, there could be "importance",
"dominance", "relevance", etc. but probably the most important term
should be "knowledge recombination." One of the troubles for the
sciences involved in planetary sustainability is not having developed an
adequate philosophy of science yet.

And that was it. We are approaching the end of January... and of the NY
Lecture.

All the best

--Pedro

PS. To Jerry repeated tests, and to those who may need checking about
the diffusion of their messages, they always can go to our fis list
archives at: _*http://listas.unizar.es/pipermail/fis/*_