[Fis] NEW YEAR LECTURE (Youri Timsit)

Pedro C. Marijuán pedroc.marijuan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 19:55:48 CET 2022

Dear Youri and All,

Gojng back to the Lecture theme, one of the things that worries me is
the biological disarray when having to deal with "the informational." I
mean, when you work with the relational properties of these fascinating
ribosomal proteins, apart of mathematical-statistical techniques and
algorithms to make sense of their interactions and evolutionary
co-adaptations, you have nothing else but to recur to the metaphor,
"molecular brains", neural like", etc.  It is fine, as you do not have
any consisting framework to refer to. It already happened to the
proponents of "bacterial intelligence", also forced to the metaphor
(Bray, Armitage...).

In my view, tools from maths, statistics, computer science, etc. are
just that, tools. Ironically some of these tools themselves had
biological origins (genetic algorithms, neural networks, perceptrons).
So, my contention is that a new filed like bio-chemistry or bio-physics
would be needed concerning the biological-informational themes, a
bio-information discipline comparable to those just mentioned. According
to several authors  (me included), the prokaryotic cell should be
considered as the fundamental, basic unit of biological cognition.
Thereafter, there would be different ways to characterize its
informational processes, particularly along the "information flow"
conceptualization... interested parties may go to the recent
contribution of Jorge Navarro and mine:
https://www.mdpi.com/1422-0067/22/21/11965 , it is in the special issue
coordinated by Youri.  I also discuss that the from the informational
thinking one could find the ways and means to renew the outdated Modern
Synthesis.

Otherwise, without a clearer disciplinary framework, am afraid the new
biology will be reduced to bioinformatics and experimental "omic"
disciplines. Just another (advanced, "very advanced") technology.

Best wishes to All,
--Pedro