[Fis] How Molecules Became Signs

Pedro C. Marijuán pedroc.marijuan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 14:40:58 CET 2022

Dear Terry, Loet and All,

First, I join in the thanks to Terry for volunteering to initiate this
new discussion modality. I appreciate the 5 points in which he
summarizes his position paper.
Well, I have some disagreement with taking as a model the info
properties of human (& animal) communication, based on well developed
nervous systems, and projecting them backwards as the scheme to fit the
biological info discussion. I advocate the cellular stance, where the
signaling systems provide the capability to abduce a complex information
flow and respond appropriately to the different signals involved via
gene expression and other cytoplasmatic changes. The ad hoc changes in
the trajectory of the life cycle is the "meaning" of the concerned
signal. Once eukaryotic signaling systems are in place, everything
informational becomes possible (here we are). From this background I
comment those 5 points below (and Loet's).

Point 1. Complete agreement. Maybe I would enter the phenomenal
properties of ribosomes to transcend the world of self-replicators, as
Youri has discussed.
Point 2. Partial agreement. Though perhaps it is too general to be of
specific interest in biological information.
Point 3. It was responded in my initial paragraph. Is semiosis a
convenient approach to biological information? I think it demands more
(conceptual load) than what it gives (conceptual harvest).
Point 4. Complete agreement. I much advocate the quest for new
evolutionary explanations. So many "anomalies" and unexplained facts
have been accumulated, that the Neo Darwinian synthesis has become
outdated, and wrong in important aspects. I have discussed this in my
recent publication (doi.org/10.3390/ijms222111965). What Lou Kauffman
discussed here in the list about recursion has lead me to propose
substituting "systemic variation and adaptive recursion" by "random
variation and natural selection". Curiously, Efim Liberman had already
gone around the recursion point (the next discussion on Natural
Computation in preparation with Andrei Igamberdiev and his colleagues
will probably include this too). My views about that are in:
DOI:10.1016/j.biosystems.2022.104631.
Point 5. Complete agreement. Gunther Witzany and Luis Villarreal have
put it very eloquently: /ex virus omnia/. Without viruses our
evolutionary views are awfully incomplete. Even more, the evolution of
multicellulars and all their new biomolecular codes would be impossible
(viruses are the great code makers).

About Loet's views, partial OK (very rare!!). The caveat is that info
theory was applied to DNA sequences with great success (Lina Gatlin
pioneering work), and quite many others have followed. There was also a
very, very interesting work on a generalized application of info metrics
to whatever chemical molecules. I vaguely remember whether the link was
sent by John Holgate in late 90s (??), and the great work was done by
Michael Carlton (??), posthumously compiled. I think our list colleague
Michel Petitjean has worked on this (from a different angle).

Terry, I also appreciate your tribute to Jesper Hoffmeyer. Unfortunately
John Collier passed away last Summer (I knew not far ago) and he was a
great support of information studies and FIS in particular (already in
1995). We owe him a decent obituary.

Best--Pedro