[Fis] How Molecules Became Signs

Loet Leydesdorff loet at leydesdorff.net
Fri Feb 25 11:52:40 CET 2022

Dear Terry, Pedro, and colleagues,

Let me for the sake of the discussion posit the following. Molecules are
structures, and structure is selective and deterministic. Assuming that
we agree that information is a diversity measure, molecules cannot be
both variation and selection (unless we aim at confusion).

In other words, not the molecules, but the configuration of molecules or
their probability distribution contains the information and not the
molecules themselves. I don't see a reason to collapse the two levels.
Information can be expressed in bits; molecules not. In other words,
information can be measured as entropy; Shannon's H is dimensionless; it
is  a measure. One can apply this measure to a distribution. The latter
may be a distribution of molecules. The substantive perspective --
different from the formal one of information theory -- can be a biology.

Best, Loet

Loet Leydesdorff

"The Evolutionary Dynamics of Discusive Knowledge"
<https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-030-59951-5>(Open Access)

Professor emeritus, University of Amsterdam

Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)

loet en leydesdorff.net <mailto:loet en leydesdorff.net>;
http://www.leydesdorff.net/

http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=ych9gNYAAAAJ&hl=en

ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-7835-3098;