[Fis] CODE DISCUSSION. A Slice of Life. OM

Pedro C. Marijuan pcmarijuan.iacs at aragon.es
Tue Sep 28 19:34:17 CEST 2021

Dear All,

As the discussion is getting more complex, I can only give a couple of
brief responses to the issues raised by Lou and Jerry (I agree with
Joseph's comments and appreciate them). Responding first to Lou, indeed
/distinctions/ are a fundamental issue, also in the bioinformation
world. Actually I have been considering --these last two decades or so--
that for living agents information appears as "distinction on the
adjacent". Expressing distinctions as a result of recursion is new for
me: I was following Karl's partitions, and was much interested in his
notion of a limited number of multidimensional partitions depending on
set size. This alternative (or complementary) recursive
conceptualization can also be very interesting regarding two biological
approaches I was recently intrigued with: the work on the emergence of
syntax/meaning in the RNA sequences world by Witzany's, and in the
algorithmic challenge of vertebrate immune systems having to distinguish
between self and non-self--in a true Godelian puzzle (ongoing work by
Sheri Markose). Probably the latter would accept presenting in our list.
If there are expressions of interest I could tell her.

And about Jerry's eleven paragraphs, I am afraid that such general
questions may open excessively the discussion. Somehow, I was reminded
of some past Century philosophers: Ortega y Gasset, Merleau-Ponty, and
A.N. Whitehead. I am more familiar with the former --his
"perspectivism". My personal translation is the "doctrine of
limitation". Given the iron-limits of our cognition, every scientific
approach becomes limited, specialized, and forced to multidisciplinary
dialog. This rubbing among disciplines is a potent recombination engine
that creates and destroys models, paradigms, and even entire fields. So,
disciplines of natural science are not only formal/experimental
constructs, but also social-historical bodies with singular
idiosyncratic trajectories. Just looking at this very list we can watch
what has happened with information discussions in last decades...
Well, this is an indirect response. to Jerry's well crafted points and I
would need more time to make a decent criticism.

Finally, going back to codes, maybe they are the inner "constraints" to
vehiculate the external information flows, versus the internal ones, so
that the former are conveniently matched, processed, and solved. Talking
in terms of "intelligence", both the natural intelligence  of biological
systems and the artificial intelligence of computer systems cannot
handle their respective external information flows except by relying on
a multitude of multi-level channeling codes. (??)

Best regards,
--Pedro

Pedro C. Marijuán

pcmarijuan.iacs at aragon.es