[Fis] CODE DISCUSSION

Louis Kauffman loukau at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 07:18:52 CEST 2021

Dear Folks,
I am including some information  that is relevant to this issue.
I define ‘recursive distinguishing” written as “recursive distinctoning”.
For more, see:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r75m4g81rtyhi6y/AAAamRlGWr9P1zeUgdcTjiNua?dl=0 <https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r75m4g81rtyhi6y/AAAamRlGWr9P1zeUgdcTjiNua?dl=0>
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dbrfjeqhmpcz7nh/AAC0vUqwXZ0Yl9xHCZzpWSaYa?dl=0 <https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dbrfjeqhmpcz7nh/AAC0vUqwXZ0Yl9xHCZzpWSaYa?dl=0>

RECURSIVE DISTINCTIONING

Recursive Distinctioning means just what it says. A pattern of distinctions is given in a space based on a graphical structure (such as a line of print or a planar lattice or given graph). Each node of the graph is occupied by a letter from some arbitrary alphabet. A specialized alphabet is given that can indicate distinctions about neighbors of a given node. The neighbors of a node are all nodes that are connected to the given node by edges in the graph. The letters in the specialized alphabet (call it SA) are used to describe the states of the letters in the given graph and at each stage in the recursion, letters in SA are written at all nodes in the graph, describing its previous state. The recursive structure that results from the iteration of descriptions is called Recursive Distinctioning. Here is an example. We use a line graph and represent it just as a finite row of letters. The Special Alphabet is SA = { =, [, ], O} where "=" means that the letters to the left and to the right are equal to the letter in the middle. Thus if we had AAA in the line then the middle A would be replaced by =. The symbol "[" means that the letter to the LEFT is different. Thus in ABB the middle letter would be replaced by [. The symbol "]" means that the letter to the right is different. And finally the symbol "O" means that the letters both to the left and to the right are different. SA is a tiny language of elementary letter-distinctions. Here is an example of this RD in operation where we use the proverbial three dots to indicate a long string of letters in the same pattern. For example,

... AAAAAAAAAABAAAAAAAAAA ... is replaced by
... =========]O[========= ... is replaced by
... ========]OOO[======== ... is replaced by
Note that the element ]O[ appears and it has replicated itself in a kind of mitosis. To see this in more detail, here is a link to a page from a mathematica program written by LK that uses a 'blank' or 'unmarked state' instead of the '=" sign. Program and Output <https://www.dropbox.com/s/tkkye8g99tzm0xm/RDL.pdf?dl=0>. Elementary RD patterns are fundamental and will be found in many structures at all levels. To see an cellular automaton example of this phenomenon, look at the next link. Here we see a replicator in 'HighLife' a modification of John Horton Conway's automaton 'Life'. The Highlife Replicator follows the same pattern as our RD Replicator! We can begin to understand how the RD Replicator works. This gives a foundation for understanding how the more complex HighLife Replicator behaves in its context. HighLife Replicator. <https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highlife_(cellular_automaton)> Finally, here is an excerpt from a paper by LK about replication in biology and the role of RD. Excerpt. <https://www.dropbox.com/s/zm785d20bma6tb2/KauffmanExcerpt.pdf?dl=0>

Recursive Distinctioning (RD) is the study of those systems that use symbolic alphabetic language that can describe the neighborhood of a locus (in a network) occupied by a given icon or letter or element of language. An icon representing the distinctions between the original icon and its neighbors is formed and replaces the original icon. This process continues recursively.

RD processes encompass a very wide class of recursive processes in this context of language, geometry and logic. These elements are fundamental to cybernetics and cross the boundaries between what is traditionally called first and second order cybernetics. This is particularly the case when the observer of the RD system is taken to be a serious aspect of that system. Then the elementary and automatic distinctions within the system are integrated with the higher order discriminations of the observer. The very simplest RD processes have dialectical properties, exhibit counting and they exhibit patterns of self-replication. Thus one has in the first RD a microcosm of cybernetics and perhaps, a microcosm of the world.

If you have read the above then you see that this mode of recursion goes between a world in which distinctions can be drawn to a new world that is a description, an encoding, of the previous
world. The encoded world is again a world of distinctions and can be encoded. The recursion of encoding encoding goes on indefinitely and creates structure of great interest.
The question remains whether this is a description of fundamental process at the physical level, and how it manifests at the biological and cognitive levels.
Very best,
Lou Kauffman