[Fis] DECRETUM: Concordance of the Discordant

Pedro C. Marijuan pcmarijuan.iacs at aragon.es
Thu Nov 18 14:24:06 CET 2021

Dear FIS Colleagues,

In the early XII Century, something very interesting occurred around the
first university created in Europe (Bologna). The situation of law in
that time was very confusing, with overlapping civil and religious
canons that had been developed independently. Gratian (Gratianus) was a
fine jurist and canon lawyer operating in Tuscany, and teacher, and
monastic rubricator in Bologna. He produced an admirable synthesis,
Decretum: Concordia Discordantium Canonum. In the first, more concise,
version, the synthetic work was framed in three parts: a sophisticate
Introduction in which fundamental Distinctiones (distinctions) were
made, and a second part with 36 causae or situations divided into
concrete questions with systematic commentaries (Summae). The third
part  discussed the difficulties, bringing forward solutions via
different auctoritates from a variety of sources.

The work supposed a watershed for Western Law. He was acclaimed as
Father of the Canon Law, appreciatively cited in Dante's Divine Comedy
(with a place in Paradise!), and considered as the creator of rational
law. Gratian himself coined the term "scientia nova" (new science)
referring to his synthesis, which indeed became highly influential
outside law, particularly concerning his methodology of questions and
systematic commentaries or Summae. Actually, later great synthesizers in
philosophy and theology (Albertus Magnus, Thomas Aquinas) were
influenced by his method, as well the further development of the
Scholastic School in next centuries...

Could the reflection on Doctor Gratianus strenuous work & clever
methodology, bringing concordance among the discordant, be of interest
for our troubles on the general study of information and on the
foundations of information science in particular? In my own case, those
ten fundamental principles I penned time ago, could be easily
transformed into a few of the questions... Rather than looking for the
single, exclusive point of view, the participation in establishing
concordance among the discordant via a multidisciplinary spattering of
basic questions is what transpires when one contemplates the historic of
our list debates. See the 64 "questions" FIS has dealt with up to now:
https://fis.sciforum.net/fis-discussion-sessions/  Of course, with
hindsight, it could be done better.

All the best,

--Pedro