[Fis] Fwd: Entropy, the Second Law, and Life

Michel Petitjean petitjean.chiral at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 20:47:37 CET 2021

Dear Arieh,

Many thanks for your great contribution.
Eisnstein was right, the framework of applicability is the main point.
And it is often neglecetd, about the universe, and about life.
We can find in many books about thermodynamics a definition of entropy.
I don't discuss it, even if there is much to say about it.
An important point is, what is disorder?
Does anybody can show me a definition of disorder?
May be the negation of order.
But what is order ?
Not the mathematical definition in set theory (partial order, total
order), it seems to be something else.
Does anybody can show me a definition of order?
If somebody can tell me what is order or what is disorder
(microstates? randomness? else?), my next question follows.
Is it possible to define what is the maximal order (or minimal
disorder), and conversely, what is the minimal order (or maximal
disorder)?
Once we get clear concepts in simple situations, we may discuss their
application to life.
If the concepts are unclear in simple situations, disussing their
application to life will never end.

Best regards,

Michel.

Michel Petitjean
Université de Paris, BFA, CNRS UMR 8251, INSERM ERL U1133, F-75013 Paris, France
Phone: +331 5727 8434; Fax: +331 5727 8372
E-mail: petitjean.chiral at gmail.com (preferred),
        michel.petitjean at univ-paris-diderot.fr
http://petitjeanmichel.free.fr/itoweb.petitjean.html