[Fis] Informatic Principles (redux) – Reply to Christophe, Karl, and Francesco.

Christophe Menant christophe.menant at hotmail.fr
Sun Sep 20 22:59:33 CEST 2020

Dear Marcus and dear Pedro,

We all agree, I guess, that life manages meaningful information. A drop of acid is meaningful for a paramecium who will get away to satisfy a « stay alive » constraint.  But at the core of the meaning generation we do not find life, we find the constraint. It is the constraint that justifies the reason of being of the meaning, that justifies the action that will satisfy the constraint. It is the constraint that justifies the fabricated difference by using the received difference. The constraint is related to the nature of the agent: stay alive (individual & species) for animals, look for happiness for humans, act as programmed for robots. Meaning generation is not limited to life. The Meaning Generator System is only a system (a set of elements linked by a set of relations). It can be used for any system submitted to an internal constraint.
And to perhaps answer your concern, Marcus, local constraints can be a starting point for an analysis of « meaning » in a pre-biotic universe, and also as source of agency, teleology, and autonomy (https://philpapers.org/archive/MENICA-2.pdf). Something truly meaningless could exist in a place where there is no constraint. Can a trend to increasing complexity be considered as a constraint for a post big-bang universe? I don’t know....
Regarding human performances and human nature, my interest is with an evolutionary scenario for self-consciousness where meaningful representations (networks of meanings) make a thread for an auto-representation leading to self-consciousness (https://philpapers.org/rec/MENCOI).
There is still a lot to do with these interesting subjects.

All the best
Christophe