[Fis] Fwd: The 10 Principles. Information as Process

Loet Leydesdorff loet at leydesdorff.net
Sat Sep 19 06:22:51 CEST 2020

Dear Joseph:

One could also use "informing" as a verb.

Let me take the liberty to quote as follows:

>Varela (1979, at p. 266) argued for defining “information” in
>accordance with the semantic root of the word of “in-formare.” In a
>similar vein, the anthropologist Bateson proposed defining information
>as “a difference which makes a difference” (Bateson, 1972, at p. 315;
>cf. MacKay, 1969). However, a difference may make a difference for one
>system of reference but not, or differently, for another. In other
>words, information would then no longer be defined analytically, but in
>terms of what information means for a receiving system. In second-order
>systems theory, this receiving system has been denoted as an “observer”
>(e.g., Maturana, 1978; Von Foerster, 1982).
>
>[...] When the sending and receiving systems are considered as the
>systems of reference and information is defined as “a difference which
>makes a difference” for them, the definitions of information, meaning,
>and discursive knowledge become entangled. The more abstract
>perspective of information theory on the number of options and the
>measurement of realized ones in terms of (e.g., bits of) information
>tends to be lost.
>
>  In a recent book, César Hidalgo (2015, at p. 165), for example, has
>defined “information” with reference “to the order embodied in codified
>sequences, such as those found in music or DNA, while knowledge and
>knowhow refer to the ability of a system to process information.”
>However, codified knowledge can be abstract and—like music—does not
>have to be “embodied” (e.g., Cowan, David, & Foray, 2000). Beyond
>Hidalgo’s position, the philosopher Luciano Floridi (2010, p. 21)
>proposed “a general definition of information” according to which “the
>well-formed data are meaningful” (italics of the author). The
>sociologist Niklas Luhmann (1995, p. 67) posits that “all information
>has meaning.” In his opinion, information should therefore be
>considered as a selection mechanism. Kauffman et al. (2008, at p. 28)
>added to the confusion by defining information as “natural selection.”
>(at p. 1182)

Best,
Loet

Leydesdorff, L., Johnson, M., & Ivanova, I. (2018). Toward a Calculus of
Redundancy: Signification, Codification, and Anticipation in Cultural
Evolution. Journal of the Association for Information Science and
Technology, 69(10), 1181-1192. doi: 10.1002/asi.24052, at p. 1182.