[Fis] FIS Conference

Marcin SCHROEDER mjs at gl.aiu.ac.jp
Sun Sep 13 19:44:49 CEST 2020

Dear Colleagues, I am resending my earlier message.
Marcin

Sat, Sep 12, 11:09 PM (2 days ago)
to Krassimir, fis
Dear Krassimir, Pedro and other FIS colleagues,
Thank you for your response and interest in helping to organize the FIS
Conference in the 2021 IS4SI Summit.
It is a very difficult time and the preparation of the IS4SI Summit is a
big challenge. It will be the first online summit, this means a big risk of
the unknown. I am scared, but I try to think about it not as a risky
business, but as an opportunity. What kind of opportunity? At the moment, I
think about it as an opportunity to build connections. The more we are
separated by the pandemic, the more we need cooperation, connection, mutual
understanding. So I try to organize the Summit as a medium for getting to
know each other. This is why I am approaching different communities
interested in Information or Related Concepts Study. At the moment I have
confirmations from the organizers of seven conferences contributing to the
2021 IS4SI Summit:
1) MORCOM (Gordana & Marcin)
2) Global Forum on Artificial Intelligence, GFAI (Yixin)
3) Symmetry and Information  (Denes Nagy & Marcin)
4) Intl. Workshop on Natural Computing  (Masami Hagiya, Yasuhiro Suzuki &
Marcin)
5) TIS (Mark Burgin)
6) Habits and Rituals (Raffaela).
7) The 5th International Conference on Philosophy of Information (ICPI) at
the 2021 IS4SI Summit.(Wu Kun, Joe Brenner)
Two other conferences hopefully will be confirmed soon. I haven't heard yet
from some other communities.
I think that this would have been a real loss, if we don't have the next
FIS Conference at the Summit. After all, the FIS  community always was the
driving force beyond the information study.
Someone could ask about  why so many conferences. As I wrote, I would like
to foster communication and interaction. The conferences do not have to be
big. Actually, more important than arranging many presentations is a
generation of many discussions. Mark Burgin, Joe Brenner and others were
very supportive of the idea to generate discussions. My original idea was
to prepare discussions on specific topics only, but (I agree now) we should
be open to more spontaneous discussions on topics which are generated by
presentations or earlier discussions.
The limit is logistics. I have to admit that my background in IT is
limited. As probably everybody else, I taught online courses, organized
some online discussions and workshops, but on a relatively small scale. I
will need a lot of help. So, I am really happy that Krassimir offered his
help. I will contact you Krassimir directly by email.
I will be really happy to hear from everyone suggestions, advice, etc.
Regarding the publication of papers presented at the Summit, there will be
different venues. I promised some organizers the right to publish their own
proceedings. Other conferences may use the arrangements made by IS4SI. It
is important that Extended Abstracts are published BEFORE the Summit (see
below).
Now, back from the dream to reality. I organized two earlier FIS
Conferences, but this time I will mainly support conferences of newcomers
from the communities in which I have been active, but which did not have
any contact with IS4SI. This is why it is important that someone could take
care of organization of the FIS Conference. I really don't see I can commit
to the organization of any additional conferences.
What does have to be done?
1) SOON: Writing the Call for Papers, including the title for the
conference. Mark Burgin suggested and I am in full support of this idea
that all conferences should have calls for Extended Abstracts (a couple of
pages) to be published BEFORE the Summit. This will help in generating
discussions.
2) MUCH LATER: Review of submissions and preparation of the program for the
conference. Program means list of presentations, Invited Lectures, etc.
3) Cooperation in building the schedule. We have to coordinate schedules of
most likely more than 10 conferences. It will be possible only after we
have programs of all conferences.
Regards,
Marcin

Marcin J. Schroeder, Ph.D.
Specially Appointed Professor

Global Learning Center

IEHE (Institute for Excellence in Higher Education)    (高度教養教育・学生支援機構)

Tohoku University                                                  (東北大学)

<https://www.bing.com/search?q=philosophies+mdpi&form=EDGSPH&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&msnews=1&plvar=0&refig=b9ed598367f44bce8af0a68f11994568&PC=HCTS&sp=-1&pq=philosophies+mdpi&sc=0-17&qs=n&sk=&cvid=b9ed598367f44bce8af0a68f11994568#>
41 Kawauchi, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8576 JAPAN        (〒980-8576 仙台市青葉区川内41)

schroeder.marcin.e4 at tohoku.ac.jp
Professor Emeritus
Akita International University, Akita Japan
mjs at gl.aiu.ac.jp <mjs at aiu.ac.jp>

Editor-in-Chief
     President
*Philosophies * (MDPI Basel Switzerland)                        International
Society for the Study of Information  (IS4SI)
https://www.mdpi.com/journal/philosophies
is4si.org/about-is4si/organisation/board/