[Fis] Fwd: FW: black hole and information. Probabilities in non-quantum and quantum systems

Dino Buzzetti dino.buzzetti at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 15:23:11 CEST 2020

I have recently found two relevant—to me—quotations about
computation and information in the following book:
     Françoise Chatelin,
     *Qualitative Computing: A Computational Journey into Nonlinearity*,
     World Scientific, 2012

> Computation shapes our mental image of the world. To live
up to the challenges of a physically limited planet it is vital that
science embraces the larger picture offered by hypercomputation.
All it takes is to view the essence of information as immaterial,
rather than having a purely physical origin. For Shannon’s heirs
in computer science and biology, information is mechanical
entropy. True but reductionist: paradoxical mathematics tells
us that information is, above all, eidetic intelligence ruled by
an organic logic <     (p. 29)

> Because of the multitude of equally valid answers, paradoxical
computation describes what “is possible” and not strictly what
“is”. The analysis based on paradoxical computation stops being
deterministic without becoming random  <  (p. 189)

Best,         -dino buzzetti

On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 at 07:05, Loet Leydesdorff <loet en leydesdorff.net> wrote:

> Dear Krassimir and colleagues,
>
> @Thanks Joe for forwarding.
>
> The main problem is that probability is created by humans and only humans
> can compute probabilities!
>
> Why is this a problem? It seems an advantage to me.
>

> There are no probabilities in the reality.
>
> It is a human model for evaluation of what may happen.
>
> Indeed, this is precisely one among the noted advantages.
>

> But during the time, it was seen that it is a dead end.
>
> Probabilities are not physical and could not be assumed as physical
> information.
> They are mental models!
>
> Do we have any non-mental models. Do you not confuse modeling with physics?
> Being not a physicist, I would not know what physical information is.
>
> Shannon's H is not a physical, but a mathematical measure.  When one
> applies it to particles (momenta and energy distributions) one can relate
> it to physics; S = k(B) H relates H to thermodynamics. Physics, however, is
> not the main field of application for probability theory and information
> theory.
>
> Best,
> Loet
>

> Best,
> Loet
>

> Friendly greetings
>
> Krassimir
>

> PS: I am writing “off line” because of FIS limits.

Dino Buzzetti                                         formerly
Department of Philosophy,   University of Bologna

--
Dino Buzzetti                                         formerly
Department of Philosophy    University of Bologna
                                                            currently
Fondazione per le Scienze Religiose Giovanni XXIII
via san Vitale, 114                  I-40125 Bologna BO
e-mail:  dino.buzzetti [at] gmail.com
              buzzetti [at] fscire.it
Web:  http://web.dfc.unibo.it/buzzetti
http://www.fscire.it/index.php/it/ricercatori/dino-buzzetti-2