[Fis] defining information. The Metaphilosophy and Metaphysics of Information. Communication

Joseph Brenner joe.brenner at bluewin.ch
Sun Mar 15 09:09:09 CET 2020

Dear Terry, Dear All,

As you know, over 10 years ago, Wu Kun presented the philosophy of
information as a metaphilosophy, since it subsumed all of the scientific,
technological and philosophical aspects of information. This is not a
proposal of one correct usage, but of common physical and metaphysical
principles underlying and/or instantiated by information. Information
involves both informing and being informed, which are physical ‘events’ with
metaphilosophical implications. The metaphysical aspects of information,
such as Terry’s most important concept of ‘absence’, have a key role in
answering our questions. I am thus becoming convinced that without a
transdisciplinary, philosophical and metaphilosophical framework, NO
primarily technological or first-order scientific approach will be adequate.
There is for me no epistemic cut between the Foundations of Information
Science and the Foundations of Information Philosophy.

Terry correctly points to the importance of the RELATIONSHIPS between the
multiple definitions of information. The domains of study of
‘relationships’, as real and not abstractions, are both scientific and
philosophical and neither can be neglected at the expense of the other. Pace
Emanuel, not all that is real is palpable. One should not lose sight of the
fact that the definitions of information do not exhaust the properties of
information as a phenomenon, involving real physical change.  A serious
study of the complex relations involved in both information and its
definitions and their usage – interpretations - should take this into
account.

I wrote above “Information involves both informing and being informed”.
Apart from my ‘label’ of these as processes, I now think that one cannot
talk about information (science and philosophy) without talking also about
communications (science and philosophy), which are both the same and
different. At one end of the scale of meaning (being?), computers
communicate, exchanging information (1), Floridian well-formed data. At the
other end, people talk to one another, exchanging information (2), which may
be ill-formed feelings. The latter, however, is ‘open’, in relation to all
the past, present and future of the human beings involved.

I hope the above will be useful, at least in part.

Best wishes,

Joseph

  _____