[Fis] [External Email] Re: defining information.Joseph comment on Loet

Jose Javier Blanco Rivero javierweiss at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 15:31:06 CET 2020

Dear Fisers,

What do we want a definition for? Is it for the sake of precision? Is it
because of scientific soundness?  Or because we want to fix the contours of
our discipline?

Conceptual history as second order observation might shed some light on
these issues. Concepts are inherently undefinable. Definire means closing,
since concepts are strictly and loosely coupled at the same time to social,
political and scientific contexts they remain open and flexible, in order
to dynamically deliver meaning (this is what is called pragmatics in
linguistics) and make communication possible.

On the other hand, openly contested concepts, such as information,
contrarily to mainstream opinion, do not speak for lack of scientific
soundness or of disciplinary unity. A discipline, as is the case in many
social sciences, is united around common disagreements on fundamental
concepts. In fact, are precisely common disagreements  what make concepts
fundamental ones.

What about reaching out to artificial languages which are more rational and
less ambiguous, such as maths. Maths have been so resourceful because they
have accomplished a function of consistency proof with regard to other
languages games. I mean, by themselves they will not bring about conceptual
clarity.
In any case this is a polemic idea I would have to further elaborate
somewhere else.

Best,