[Fis] [External Email] Re: defining information.Joseph comment on Loet

jose luis perez velazquez jlpvjlpv at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 13:58:44 CET 2020

   I don't see any problem in giving up trying to find a strict, general
one-sentence definition of information that will satisfy all. It is like
defining life or consciousness, after so many centuries there is no general
definition that satisfies everybody, hence this is already telling us
something...  Still, one can define their properties, features in each
specific circumstance, so the same can be done with information and thus we
abort the problem of finding a general definition. This is what I mentioned
in a publication that just came out ('On the emergence of cognition: from
catalytic closure to neuroglial closure'
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10867-020-09543-8), where I
took the liberty to have a small section about what information means in
nervous system research and wrote the following... which still may not
satisfy everybody!!:   “The concept of information has several connotations
and in general is somewhat relative: ‘Information is a relative concept
that assumes meaning only when related to the cognitive structure of the
observer of this utterance —the recipient’ [von Foerster, H.. In *Understanding
Understanding*: *essays on cybernetics and cognition*, Springer].
[....]  Nonetheless,
the various concepts of information are very useful to address questions in
each specific field, *the main thing needed is to specify what kind of
information one studies or talks about.*  [...] trying to precisely define
information in a most general manner becomes like trying to define other
fundamental properties like energy: the definitions are inherently
circular"

  JL