[Fis] [External Email] Re: defining information

João Alvaro Carvalho jac at dsi.uminho.pt
Fri Mar 6 00:01:02 CET 2020

Dear Colleagues

Wittgenstein (Investigations 65-71) suggests that some concepts encompass phenomena that have no single feature in common.
However it is possible to recognise the existence of some form of likeliness.
He uses the term "family resemblances" to refer to this.
He gives the example of “games”. It is not possible to provide a definition of game that fits all sorts of games we can find.

It is my view that the same happens with information.
There is a wide range of phenomenon where we recognise features that leads us to call it “information".
However, it is not possible to provide one single definition that adequately describes all those phenomena.

I gave up looking for an unifying definition of information.
As soon I switch to another context (for example, moving from the context of organisational work to  the human mind or to the cell) the key features are different.

Regards,

João

====================================
Joao Alvaro Carvalho