[Fis] 10 Principles

Loet Leydesdorff loet at leydesdorff.net
Tue Jul 14 15:50:19 CEST 2020

Dear colleagues,

Is this a coup-d'etat of the biologists? It does not follow from the
role of information in processes of life that information is exclusively
processed in life-processes.

Let me quote Luhmann who argued against Maturana as follows:

"Moreover, because it is tied to life as a mode of self-reproduction of
autopoietic systems, the 'theory of autopoiesis does not really attain
the level of general systems theory which includes brains and machines,
psychic systems and social systems, societies and short-term
interactions. From this point of view, living systems are a special type
of systems. However, if we abstract from life and define autopoiesis as
a general form of system-building using self-referential closure, we
would have to admit that there are non-living autopoietic systems,
different modes of autopoietic reproduction, and general principles of
autopoietic organization which materialize as life, but also in other
modes of circularity and self-reproduction. In other words, if we find
non-living autopoietic systems in our world, then and only then will we
need a truly general theory of autopoiesis which carefully avoids
references which hold true only for living systems. But which attributes
of autopoiesis will remain valid on this highest level, and which will
have to be dropped on behalf of their connection with life?"

It seems to me that one can define information more abstractly than its
manifestation in processes of living. For example, information and its
meaning can be archived in libraries. A librarian may hope that there
are no insects in the books who like eating them.

Best,
Loet

Loet Leydesdorff

Professor emeritus, University of Amsterdam
Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)

loet en leydesdorff.net <mailto:loet en leydesdorff.net>;
http://www.leydesdorff.net/
Associate Faculty, SPRU, <http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/>University of
Sussex;

Guest Professor Zhejiang Univ. <http://www.zju.edu.cn/english/>,