[Fis] 10 Principles

Pedro C. Marijuan pcmarijuan.iacs at aragon.es
Tue Jul 14 14:29:42 CEST 2020

Dear List,

Thanks for the comments. I have tried to be more inclusive in the new
point 2.
Also, Point 1 has been slightly modified reminding an old comment from
Lars (that info always goes "by contact")
Other changes, in point 3 now, can be justified as follows:
The fact that biological self-production either in bacteria or in
organisms is accompanied respectively by a "bacterial signaling system"
or by a "central nervous system" tells us that the way of life, the
adaptation to the niche, always needs the development of ad hoc
informational detectors. Otherwise the life cycle becomes "blind",
truncated and unable to advance towards completion. At the same time,
inside every cell, inside every organism, there is an internal
information flow related to its own self-production. For instance in a
living cell, the self-production may imply: expression, copying,
translation, genetic code, modification codes, degradation... While the
signaling flow may imply: signal generation, emission, transmission
channel, reception, decoding/processing, meaning elaboration,
response...  Both information flows, the external and the internal,
become intertwined, densely mixed, at all scales of biological
organization. Let us further emphasize point 1, for all these
information processes imply a physical contact, as they always have to
impinge on the system receptors or sensory surfaces.

So, points 1 to 5 could read as follows:

1. Information as such: distinction of an "adjacent" difference.

2. Information processes: organized action upon distinctions collected
into structures, patterns, sequences, messages, or flows.

3. Integrated information processes of life: information flows, both
from the external signaling environment and from the internal productive
environment, are  tightly integrated along the advancement of the
adaptive life cycle --they regularly anticipate, shape, and mix up with
the accompanying energy flows.

4. Biological complexity: communication/information exchanges among
adaptive life-cycles underlie the complexity of biological organization
at all scales.

5. Biological cognition: cognition, meaning and knowledge can be
identified within the integrated signaling/productive
molecularmechanisms that adaptively transform the cell-cycle trajectory
as well as in the action/perception cycle of central nervous systems.

The other 5 points regarding human & social aspects may be discussed
later on.

All the best
--Pedro

El 13/07/2020 a las 2:01, Koichiro Matsuno escribió:

> On Monday, July 13, 2020 5:14 AM, Krassimir Markov wrote: I am not
> sure that all colleagues agree that information does not exist out of
> the LIFE sphere.
>
> This observation should stand alone only when “all colleagues” are the
> inhabitants outside the LIFE sphere.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Koichiro Matsuno

Pedro C. Marijuán