[Fis] FW: LECTURE RESPONSES UP TO 16.01.20. Addition

Loet Leydesdorff loet at leydesdorff.net
Sat Jan 18 15:24:45 CET 2020

Dear Joseph, Mark, and colleagues,

Truth can undoubtedly be considered as one of the symbolically
generalized codes of communication . In academia, we may be particularly
attached to this code. But so is the justice system, although "truth"
means in police work something different from truth/ truth-finding/
heuristics and puzzle-solving in science (Herbert Simon).

Luhmann argued for binary oppositions such as true/false as the code of
science. True and false can only be elaborated in logics and
mathematics. Empirical sciences work also with uncertainty: some
statements may be more true than others. Some statements may with
hindsight be false because of the progress of science. Thus, we would no
longer accept that plants orbit the sun in cycles and epi-cycles. That
statement would thus be false.

With reference to the intention to make false statements ( for reasons
of profit, political gain, or crime) one can attribute "falseness" to
individuals such as specific leaders.

Not Caligula, but Louis XIV is the Great King of the codification. The
trias politica with three codes!. Frederick the Great implemented an
institutional system for maintaining the rule of laws because he did not
want to be bothered with it. What can be false in court, may be
warranted in politics. It will not be easy to develop a theory of
"falsehood".

Best,
Loet

Loet Leydesdorff

Professor emeritus, University of Amsterdam
Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)

loet en leydesdorff.net <mailto:loet en leydesdorff.net>;
http://www.leydesdorff.net/
Associate Faculty, SPRU, <http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/>University of
Sussex;

Guest Professor Zhejiang Univ. <http://www.zju.edu.cn/english/>,