[Fis] New Year Lecture: Interim Response

Joseph Brenner joe.brenner at bluewin.ch
Wed Jan 8 09:12:28 CET 2020

Dear FISers,

Thank you for the responses to date; they constitute a most interesting
basis for further discussion. Just a few brief comments for now:

1.	Specific thanks to Stan Salthe for pointing to the difference
between principles and examples. Further contributors might wish to keep
this in mind in formulating their comments.
2.	I regret that no-one has referred to the European Union link. Is
there nothing to be learned from it?
3.	In this vein, I must apologize for having omitted reference, in my
original document, to the work of our friend and colleague Rafael Capurro
<http://www.capurro.de/tampere91.htm> http://www.capurro.de/tampere91.htm.
His interest in and contributions to the subject of disinformation go back
to 1991, before I was born. As suggested by Rafael, I attach a link also to
the work of Tom Froehlich, who has written about the Society of
Disinformation.   <http://www.personal.kent.edu/~tfroehli/>
http://www.personal.kent.edu/~tfroehli/. German readers will be interested
in a forthcoming contribution by Rafael about "Fake News"
<http://www.capurro.de/pseudangelia.html>
http://www.capurro.de/pseudangelia.html

My current plan is to respond to your contributions in two categories, those
positions with which I agree, and why and those with which I disagree, and
why.

Buona continuazione,

Joseph