[Fis] FW: New Dialog on Social Systems. The Disinformation Society. Belief

Pedro C. Marijuan pcmarijuan.iacs at aragon.es
Tue Dec 1 21:24:57 CET 2020

Dear Terry, Joseph, and Colleagues,

Thanks for the well crafted reflections. I quite agree. Nevertheless,
disinformation has been a historical constant in human societies, even
within oral cultures. We are quite used to it, on a daily basis, always
having to "struggle" in the little or big attacks against our
reputation. And socially as well. If we remind the great crisis (and
wars) of the past century, the propaganda, lies, and fakes ("bulos" as
we say in Spanish) were an important and even decisive part of the
multiple confrontations. But you are right that the new media, the
social networks, represent uncharted waters --amazingly dangerous-- for
disinformation. Our cultures and institutions have not distilled
appropriate strategies to counteract them yet... In any case, rather
than trying to bring more discussion elements (we already had a NY
Lecture last year about that) I would like to be practical:

Why we do not think on a regular, stable working group about it? A few
parties, in my opinion counting with your and Joseph's own leading
involvement, could start thinking about the organizing details of the
idea. For instance, in future months we could have a regular discussion
session in the list --a well prepared one-- and see the progress. It can
be done under the IS4SI banner, or FIS--or whatever we think convenient.

We never talk in this list about McLuhan, but some of his views become
enormously pertinent in this context.

Best--Pedro

at El 30/11/2020 a las 20:00, Terrence W. DEACON escribió:

> Dear Pedro, Joseph, and FIS colleagues.
>

> I want to thank Joseph Brenner for keeping us focused on an
> information science challenge that we ignore to our peril:
> disinformation. By blurring the distinction between the statistical,
> referential, and normative aspects of information, we have little
> chance of being able to confront this pragmatically important
> existential challenge; whether politically, medically, scientifically,
> or ecologically. I think that the disinformation issue highlights the
> need to overcome disputes over whose definition of information is
> best, and to dig deeper into these higher-order information concepts.
> In this respect, continuing to challenge each other to rethink the
> assumptions at the foundations of information science is more
> important than ever. Understanding the information/disinformation
> distinction is a foundational social evolution problem. So I am both
> receptive to Joseph’s critique and also encouraged to see how Pedro
> has helped to facilitate an exchange of ideas between information
> theorists and social-evolution theorists.
>

> The explosive and destructive “success” of the disinformation
> enterprise has been generated both extrinsically and intrinsically.
> Extrinsically, because of the geopolitical advantages gained by
> creating confusion and discord in the ranks of potential
> competitors—the old divide and conquer strategy. Intrinsically, it
> follows in the wake of radical postmodern skepticism about knowledge.
> This has fueled uncertainties about what’s fact and what’s opinion,
> blurred the science/belief distinction, and promulgated a sense that
> truth is a property best assessed by analyzing the messenger, not the
> message. I think that our work could address some of the intrinsic
> problems, and thereby help us to better counter any extrinsic challenges.
>

> Of course, disinformation is a social weapon with a long history. The
> current augmented power of disinformation is a function of the way its
> dissemination has been amplified by the runaway dynamic implicit in
> social media platforms. This has been an unanticipated side-effect of
> the capitalistic foundation of these communication systems as well as
> their unprecedented global extent and ubiquity. Their economic success
> has been based on algorithms that are structured so as to maximize the
> time that users spend in a company’s virtual domain; thus increasing
> the time users spend exposed to their content, clicking on their
> links, getting current users to ensnare additional users, and in so
> doing providing data useful for improving this same capacity. It’s a
> perfect disinformational pyramid-scheme that no one anticipated, and
> will be quite difficult to rein in.
>

> This is the information challenge of our era. It is an existential
> challenge, and not merely one of academic relevance. I applaud any
> effort to bring the informational and social evolutionary discussions
> [...]

Pedro C. Marijuán

pcmarijuan.iacs at aragon.es