[Fis] FIS discussions

Terrence W. DEACON deacon at berkeley.edu
Mon Oct 7 19:41:18 CEST 2019

Dear colleagues,

I am glad to see that there is interest in discussing the complex concept
of information as it applies to living phenomena more fundamental than
language (e.g. memory and molecular genetics). Language is a very late to
evolve, highly idiosyncratic, species-specific mode of communicating
between organisms (humans). It is useful to confine our discussions to this
context so long as we recognize that it is both highly specialized and
based upon many more basic levels of non-linguistic non-symbolic forms of
information production and interpretation. Some of these are neurological
and others are molecular. As a neuroscientist and evolutionary biologist
these levels of analysis are of special interest to me. But to approach our
subject with the recognition of this complexity, we need to be far more
humble about having provided a complete "general theory of information" and
carefully pre-specify the level of system that we are considering. For
example, the concept of memory involves far more than the influence of RNA
or protein effects on neurons and synapses, and the terms 'meaning' and
'semantics' are well-suited for discussing information-related functions in
linguistic terms, but poorly suited for use in neurological and molecular
informational contexts. We can best progress by recognizing these
complexities, acknowledging the limitations of overgeneralization, and
specifying the contexts in which our comments apply. And of course, a bit
of humility in the face of this complexity will provide helpful lubrication.

— Terry

Professor Terrence W. Deacon
University of California, Berkeley