[Fis] Fwd: New Course Novelties

Stanley N Salthe ssalthe at binghamton.edu
Fri Oct 4 20:55:03 CEST 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Stanley N Salthe <ssalthe en binghamton.edu>
Date: Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 10:43 AM
Subject: Re: [Fis] New Course Novelties
To: Pedro C. Marijuan <pcmarijuan.iacs en aragon.es>

Pedro, all -- Here is my unpacking of Pedro's three (I would make them out
to be) stages of the emergence of coding

 THE GREAT DIVIDE: ANIMATE VERSUS INANIMATE INFORMATION.

 THE NUCLEAR INFORMATIONAL CONVERGENCE: CELLS, ORGANISMS, SOCIAL ENTITIES.

 THE INFORMATION ERA SCHISM:  INFO SCIENCE VERSUS INFO TECHNOLOGY (David
vs. Goliath!).

The emergence/evolution of CODING by way of elaborate correlations in
living systems between codewords and the structural basis of life --
proteins.

The use of codes by organisms, as such in navigating the world, and as a
means for organizing social living.

The elaboration of coding mechanistically in computer technology.

STAN

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 7:48 AM Pedro C. Marijuan <pcmarijuan.iacs en aragon.es>
wrote:

> Dear Marcin and colleagues,
>
> Nice to hear from you. I think it will be quite fertile the new
> interaction between FIS list and IS4SI board. On the one side, the concern
> we share about developing further organization is very positive. In my
> personal opinion there should be a few important quasi "continental"
> Chapters (eg, US, China, EU, Japan, perhaps India & Latin America...), plus
> national Sections, and individuals acting as promoters engaged with the
> creation of Sections/Chapters. Calling them Ambassadors, Delegates, or
> Representatives is a matter of taste. The role of the Secretariat should be
> highlighted, I think, as it is along this via that those promoters should
> be supported (perhaps previously proposed by dedicated members of the board
> or the acting chairs). My suggestion is that in the board discussions of
> the Strategic Plan we settle the details of these matters. But in the
> meantime, I suggest that we START TO ACT and send to Annette the
> coordinates of those parties potentially interested in building a national
> section/chapter somewhere. It is very difficult creating a complex
> organization from scratch, we have to advance step by step and also to take
> risks.
>
> And on the other side, perhaps we have not been paying attention to the
> existing *symbiosis* between FIS list and IS4SI. Actually, the latter was
> originated from a FIS conference (Beijing 2010), and it is a fact that the
> list has been playing a significant role of continuity in between the
> successive conferences--Moscow, Vienna, Gotteburg, Berkeley. But we have
> not been taking care of fertilizing that implicit symbiosis.  Plenty of
> attendants of those conferences could have been inscribed in the
> list--young graduate and PhD students particularly (as Gordana has
> commented me offline). IS4SI itself lacks sufficient membership...  Part of
> the problem is the lack of a cohesive intellectual path for the "common
> future". For every veteran FISer and every IS4SI board member represents a
> differentiated intellectual interest and research program. Fine, as it
> should be. But let us also devote some time to articulate a few common
> directions.
>
> If someone would ask me to describe just three headlines for those main
> directions, I would respond: 1)  THE GREAT DIVIDE: ANIMATE VERSUS INANIMATE
> INFORMATION. 2) THE NUCLEAR INFORMATIONAL CONVERGENCE: CELLS, ORGANISMS,
> SOCIAL ENTITIES. 3) THE INFORMATION ERA SCHISM:  INFO SCIENCE VERSUS INFO
> TECHNOLOGY (David vs. Goliath!).
>
> And with this I have already spent my "three cents" for this week...
>
> Greetings to all,
> --Pedro

Pedro C. Marijuan
12:38 PM (2 hours ago)
to me
Thanks Stan, quite brilliant unpacking--I fully agree.
But why don't you send it to the list too?
Best--Pedro