[Fis] New Course Novelties

Pedro C. Marijuan pcmarijuan.iacs at aragon.es
Tue Oct 1 14:43:36 CEST 2019

Dear FIS & IS4SI Colleagues,

We start this 23rd year of activities in the list with the novelty
commented in my last message: the incorporation of IS4SI Board members.
We will count with a network of a dozen correspondents or so who will
keep all of us updated on a variety of fields belonging to "the study of
information" on a seasonal basis. Of course all members of the list are
invited to participate in this periodic informative contact too.
Whatever matters to our common interest on information might be
reflected by someone in the list.  The new purpose is that this list
becomes not only an arena of discussion, as we have so much accumulated
in the past (see https://fis.sciforum.net/fis-discussion-sessions/ ),
but also a dynamic repository of exciting ideas & criticisms, of
relevant scholarship of articles and bibliography, of new insights on
contemporary problems, etc. Everyone in his/her style, we  could work as
a collective intelligence trying to make better sense of our strange times.

For a start I would suggest a rough evaluation  of the past meeting in
Berkeley (could it be possible some comment from your side, Terry?). It
was really an experience listening to technological avantgarde's
prognostics & criticisms. Possible exits to the contemporary crossroads
are difficult to foretell... In my opinion, a monumental
misunderstanding of information underlies a good portion of the
conceptual disorientation among the cognoscenti. I will try to argue
more concretely about this along the debates of this New Course. The new
inscribed parties may present themselves and produce their arguments
when they wish (with the traditional limitation of two messages per week).

But we are far less people than before in the list (sadly the University
of Zaragoza's mindless application of the European Law on Data
Protection decimated this list), so to facilitate the new functioning,
maybe relaxing the two messages per week could be a good idea now. What
about putting the limit in three messages per week?

Finally, to the group of veteran FISers who have spent 20 years or more
in this list, a strong hug. Let us hope the new venture with IS4SI will
mean a new horizon of creativity and influence for our long-term project.

Best regards

--Pedro

Pedro C. Marijuán

pcmarijuan.iacs at aragon.es