[Fis] FW: The Age of Discord

Pedro C. Marijuan pcmarijuan.iacs at aragon.es
Mon Nov 25 14:21:45 CET 2019

Dear List,

Am responding to Joseph and to Diego.

To the former, I agree on the quantitative mirage when trying to
formalize history. Perhaps the best contents in Turchin's books refer to
qualitative aspects, for instance the development of "frontier"
countries he discusses (the cases of Russia, Spain, and US and others).
The main point on the emergence of those long term trends of
progression/regression or oscillations is very intriguing and I think we
cannot substantiate it easily. The organization of an ad hoc discussion
session would be quite interesting (can someone help on that
possibility?). The relationship with the historical acceleration an the
emergence of new of information flows would also be intriguing. As I
comment below, it can be a fertile new field and a necessity to be
covered by information philosophy. We badly need to put the most
relevant aspects in an integrative view.

To Diego, my focus was not only in the Latin American countries. If we
contemplate recent months/years, we see many other mass explosions
(Algeria, Tunisia, Thailand, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Ukraine,
Jordania...) and I had already included other Arab countries, plus
Spain, France, and other movements: Trumpism, Brexiterism, and also we
could include Metooism, indignados, and all kinds of offendidisms &
populisms... Everywhere there are deep causes around for
mass-mobilization, some are different, some may be common. But it is not
just the arrival of "conquistadores" scapegoat. By the way, they parted
away two centuries ago, and some of those countries were not in bad
shape 50-60 years ago (Argentina, Venezuela, Uruguay, Cuba.... The case
of Argentina is amazing: after WWI she was the fourth richest country of
the world. Venezuela's case, unfortunately, is more dramatic).
Coincidentally, in discussions with Islamic-inclined parties, I was
surprised to find another scapegoat widely argumented: the Crusades.
Islamic societies failed to make the different modern transitions due to
the cultural-political crisis brought forth by the crusades (seven-eight
centuries ago!). Well, to escape from traditional cliches or from
political preferences I think Acemoglu's views are quite balanced about
these themes, particularly in his 2012 book, /Why Nations Fail
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_Nations_Fail>/. Our colleague Howard
Bloom has also written penetrating analyses on the historical evolution
of Islamic societies versus the Western world.

Summing up, that the new media are one of those deep causes contributing
to irritated socio-political and cultural climates is an idea that can
be found in quite a few analyses today. Coincidentally I could read this
weekend an international analyst with very similar opinions to my own on
the e-destabilization in the mentioned world regions. Widespread
mass-additions to e-life are a fact: data on use of screens are
outrageous. Adults in the US spend on average more that ten hours daily
watching, reading, listening to or simply interacting with media. US
adolescents spend an average of 9 hours daily in front of their cell
phones screens. In parallel, a growing epidemics of adolescent
medicalization and prescription of opioids and drug abuse is taking
shape. That means a brave new style of life and a brave new mode of
thinking are on the advance...

Best regards
--Pedro

El 22/11/2019 a las 12:54, Joseph Brenner escribió:

> Dear Pedro and All,
>
> I agree in general with Pedro on the importance of Turchin’s
> transdisciplinary approach, but feel that something is missing in his
> attempted synthesis in /Cliodynamics. /I say attempted for two
> reasons: for me, he overemphasizes the role of mathematics –
> historical databases and such, and the title of his journal is
> /Quantitative History and Cultural Evolution. /This is not to say that
> mathematical methods do not have a role, but if the objective is that
> history become an analytical, predictive science like others so
> described, I see the potential loss of its essential /qualitative/
> aspects. The statement that Trump is worse than Nixon is not analytical.
>
> The (clio)dynamics of Pedro’s 5 points are also non-analytical and
> non-mathematizable. However, he uses two, related terms that I think
> should be unpacked: 1) low progress 2) secular oscillation. I see
> decades-long trends of /re-/gress, such that only if the sinusoidal
> oscillation can also move backwards is it fair to call it an
> oscillation/./
>
> //
>
> If it is a fundamental /irrationality/ that is underlying current
> cultural evolution –or perhaps better /de/volution, then the practice
> of Information Science and Philosophy must take this into account to
> be meaningful.
>
> //
>
> I am not arguing for the sake of arguing, but the repetition of only
> the most commonly accepted usages of terms is not going to help.
>
> Thank you and best wishes,
>
> Joseph
>
> //
>
> //