[Fis] The Limits

Karl Javorszky karl.javorszky at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 14:00:02 CET 2019

Dear colleagues,

Limits also need a collaborative effort. Just in the last contributions, we
saw Pedro approach the same subject from the biologists’, Bruno from the
mathematician-philosopher’s side, Stan giving an overview. The term ‘limit’
is applied, if I understand the positions clearly, referring once to
thresholds within, and twice to boundaries delimiting the inside from the
outside.

The proposal is to return to the linguistic analysis of what we all say.
Pedro agrees that symbols which are applied concurrently on objects can
create a model of a living organism, quasi as a temporal cross-section of
the processes in an organism. In the contemporary context – let me thank
Michel Petitjean, who has advised me to take care with the word
‘commutative’, as it refers to concepts that have their own connotations
and definitions in mathematics -, it is possible to say ‘the liver contains
x1 mg Fe/g tissue and y1 mg K/g and z1 mg Ca/g, while the lungs contain x2mg
Fe/g tissue and y2mg K/g and z2mg Ca/g and the muscles contain x3mg Fe/g
tissue and y3mg K/g and z3mg Ca/g”, while it is not reasonable to say
“liver is 1st, muscles are 2nd and lungs are 3rd”, because these objects
are contemporary. Insofar the word ‘mixture’ describes an assembly, in
which the elements have no fixed spatial order or sequence, the organism is
a contemporary mixture, and in amateur-speak commutative (because one has
learnt that if the position of an element in an expression is of no
relevance, then the ability to be anywhere is called being commutative).
One could continue the list of nutrients and constituents across more
organs, the principle is clear: more than one statement can be true with
regard to one element. These statements make the elements distinguishable,
irrespective of where they are, and even more irrespective of the sequence
in which we recite their properties. (We generalise into *n* organs and
substitute mg/g value ranges into colors. ‘Of *n* balls, *r* are colored
*red*, *b* are colored *blue*, *g* are colored *green’*, observations: 1.)
blue, red and green balls are distinguishable, 2. The question is
meaningful to ask: ‘How many are *{red+blue, blue+green, …*?’)

As opposed to the commutative (contemporary, like a mixture), the sequenced
assembly, of which the finest example is our DNA, is such, that it is not
possible to say “element *i* is on position *i1* and concurrently on
position *i2* and *i3*”. This is a different way of piling true statement
above each other. Each element is unique with regard to its place, but is
seen as being without any private, distinguishing marks, once lifted off
its place. It is actually the imagined place of the element what we count,
not the element itself, that being without any marks. The element is
actually defined by “That, which is *i *places away from *no-place*,
otherwise nondescript.”

Now we have arrived at having *two* counting backgrounds, once with regard
to the how-ness of elements, irrespective of places, and once with regard
to the where-ness of elements, irrespective of their how-ness.

We relate the *how-ness* of elements to their *where-ness* by means of
using their common *how-many-ness*. Having a fixed number of elements, we
discuss, how many variants of how-ness are possible for so many elements,
and compare this to the results we find as we investigate, how many
where-ness these same elements can produce. The results are indeed
startling, and can be studied in detail in oeis.org/A242615.

We are used to having a mental grid of evenly spaced intervals as the
background, like a millimetre paper. In such a system, the undeniable
existence of limits, thresholds, equivalence ranges and delineations, which
comes by itself, appears indeed puzzling. The proposal is to use *two *kinds
of millimetre paper, which deviate slightly with respect to one another. If
we use the basic unit of 1 million logical relations and scale, how many
actual units are needed to produce so many combinatorial varieties, we
shall get two, slightly differing kinds of millimetre papers (background
graph papers).

Once we overlay the equally patterned web grid with one more web grid,
which is a slightly deviating non-equally patterned grid, we see
magnifications and shrinkage, separated by two slices of almost sharp
agreements of the scales. Which of the two background grids is
well-proportioned and which is distorting, is of course n undecidable
epistemological, oftentimes livid, at times explosive discussion among the
two principles which depict “number of distinct logical relations possible
among *n *elements” in two, slightly different ways. There are always more
variations of space for the things being varied, except if the things
number between 33 and 96, in which case there are more variations of things
possible in the moment than variants of space exist to accommodate the
variations. The conclusion is, that the world is both contemporary and
sequential. Hence the necessity for the cycles.

The overlap of two, equally valid, counting scales, number lines, while
counting leads to a great number of limits, thresholds, equivalence ranges
and many other phaenomena, among which logical archetypes, that is: types
of agglomerations of logical variants for which there is no logical space
to be in.

The delineation to the outside, and with it, the recognition, for which
kinds of logical sentences the method of counting *consistently* is
helpful, and for which not, has been addressed following a very fine
tradition by Bruno and by Stan here. If I understand their exposes
correctly, the moral of the story is: we can recognise, which systems are
rational, if we had built the system rationally, and this system itself is
a definition of what can be expressed by it rationally. This is a
time-honoured result of thinking, and agrees to what The Great W said about
not wasting time talking nonsense, and what is not a nonsense is anyway
nothing news, as it cannot be anything new. What we can reasonably say, we
could have said it all, long ago before now, we were just too much occupied
with other business to talk about it before. It is not the fault of
tautologically true sentences that they had not been explicated sooner:
they had always been there. It is just us, who had not thought it possible
till now.

The good news is, that there is a light at the end of the tunnel (vision).
It appears possible to give a step-by-step introduction to the algorithmic
grasp of the term ‘information’. Information is in a fashion an answer to
the question: ‘How many steps yet to the limit?’. This can be utilised, so
there is reason to keep working on encircling the biest.

Karl