[Fis] "the mother of information"--MINI-BRAINS

Pedro C. Marijuan pcmarijuan.iacs at aragon.es
Thu Jan 31 13:24:01 CET 2019

Dear Bill and FIS colleagues,

Nice comments. Although agreeing with the basic orientation, I would
change a few words. For instance, that "every cell has self-referential
consciousness" would make more sense, in my opinion, with the term
"intelligence." I remember that Lynn Margulis also used the C- term
applied to living cells, but it conduces to a form of panpsychism that
extends the problem and by doing so pretends to solve it, but does not
advance it a iota. Consciousness has a special cellular-molecular
underpinning that continues defying the scientific efforts to decipher it.

that opens new possibilities--in brain development, medically for some
tumors, disorders such as epilepsy or autism, etc. The most serious
inconvenient (in words of Christof Koch) is ethical: "The closest they
get to preterm infant, the more they should worry." The leading
researcher A. Muotri, plans to connect them to other brain/body parts
organoids. Then, my speculation is that if sensory inputs are provided,
and some "action" external connection is established (eg, via EEG
sensors connected to outside actuators), then a sui generis form of
sensory-motor loop could be closed, and... I really don't know.

Best--Pedro

Pedro C. Marijuán

pcmarijuan.iacs at aragon.es

---