[Fis] Pause to Wait Pedro's New Year Lecture!

Michel Petitjean petitjean.chiral at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 03:43:17 CET 2019

Dear Krassimir and dear Xueshan,

(1) I removed the private part of the closed discussion before sending to FIS.
Then, since there is a cooperation between FIS and IS4SI it appears to
me that it was useful to let the important comments of Xueshan
available to the FIS forum.

(2) Yes, technically, Shannon information deals with communication of data.
But information can be revealed from amounts of data.
Can it be done through computer?
Deep learning methods are based on data, but they are used to reveal
information.
A famous example is the use of data during the campaign for the former
US presidential election.

In my opinion, there is indeed a link between computer science and
information science.
Isn't it?
If it can be demonstrated that there is not, it would be a result of
crucial importance for the FIS community.
But it is likely that it is a matter of opinion, and that such a
result cannot be decided.

Best wishes,
Michel.